Symantec Access Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Can't get Multiwrite last updated time for 'PS'

• 1.  Can't get Multiwrite last updated time for 'PS'

Posted Aug 26, 2016 07:23 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Team,

We have an infrastructure of 4 Directory servers connected to backbone and the replication is working fine on these 4 DS. We have added a site to the host and added 2 DS under it, but the data is not getting replicated to these new DS. When we open the policy store of the new DS, we can see some data but when we try to click on it to see it, it gives us an ldap error.. no read operations (invalid DN syntax)

In the logs we get the errors as attached in the snapshot.

Please help.

Thanks,

Shivam

• 2.  Re: Can't get Multiwrite last updated time for 'PS'

Posted Aug 26, 2016 11:32 AM

Hi Shivam,

Typically when adding new nodes to a set of replicating DSAs, the new DSAs need to be manually synchronized. It would appear that you may have added the new configuration without this step.

It looks like the new DSAs are rejecting communication with the other DSAs. To debug that further, can you inspect the contents of the warn log and alarm log for the new DSAs and post them hear.

Thanks,

Justin

• 3.  Re: Can't get Multiwrite last updated time for 'PS'

Posted Aug 27, 2016 04:51 AM

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your response. I have attached the logs in my post and it's giving me multiwrite-disp error.

Can you have a look at the logs and provide your comments?

Thanks,

Shivam

• 4.  Re: Can't get Multiwrite last updated time for 'PS'
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 28, 2016 10:39 PM

Hi Shivam,

The logs above indicate that replication is failing to the following DSAs:

* PSdata-Stage-10389-UKLDC1-PRODDS01
    * PSdata-Stage-10389-UKLDC1-PRODDS02

Are these the newly added DSAs? If so, these are the logs I was referring to.

After adding the new DSAs via DXmanager, did you follow a procedure to manually synchronize data? This may account for the replication failure and the inability to connect directly.

Thanks,

Justin

• 5.  Re: Can't get Multiwrite last updated time for 'PS'

Posted Aug 29, 2016 02:57 AM

You're correct Justin. These are the newly added dsa viz DxManager. Also, i was under the impression that the synchronization happens automatically. What steps do we have to perform.. can you provide any pointer?

Many thanks,

Shivam

• 6.  Re: Can't get Multiwrite last updated time for 'PS'

Posted Aug 29, 2016 03:48 AM

MW-DISP should synchronize automatically, but it looks like there may have been a problem during the initial sync. It's hard to tell without looking at all your logs for all DSAs from the time the new DSAs were added.

I think to progress this issue further it would be best to raise a support ticket so that an engineer can look at your environment in more detail to determine why MW-DISP is failing for your newly added DSAs.

• 7.  Re: Can't get Multiwrite last updated time for 'PS'

Posted Aug 29, 2016 03:51 AM

Justin, also i used DxManager to configure the DSA's. When we use DxManager to configure the dsa, we don't have to enable the multiwrite-disp manually.. the synchronization should happen automatically as mentioned in the CA Dirtectory guide as well..

• 8.  Re: Can't get Multiwrite last updated time for 'PS'

Posted Aug 29, 2016 04:03 AM

What version are you running? There was an issue prior to r12 SP14 GA with sync'ing newly added DSAs.

• 9.  Re: Can't get Multiwrite last updated time for 'PS'

Posted Aug 29, 2016 04:46 AM

Justin,

We are using CA Directory r12.0 SP9 Build 6667. Does this version has the sync issues? Do you have any reference link for the same.

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

• 10.  Re: Can't get Multiwrite last updated time for 'PS'

Posted Aug 29, 2016 09:58 PM

Hi Smukhi,

I think we're making progress :-)

I believe SP9 would have synchronization issues when adding new peers DSAs via DXmanager. I think the best way forward would be a manual re-synch of your newly added DSAs.

If you can plan an outage and PSdata-State-10389-OKCSTAGEDS02 is your preferred master DSA. The following procedure will synchronize your data in (host: command) notation. I can provide steps to be performed without an outage (using our online dump capability) but this is simpler:

(Change paths if on Windows)

Stop newly added DSAs
    * UKLDC1-PRODDS01: dxserver stop PSdata-State-10389-UKLDC1-PRODDS01
    * UKLDC1-PRODDS02: dxserver stop PSdata-State-10389-UKLDC1-PRODDS02

Checkpoint all hosts (prevent updates being resent)
    * Every host: dxdisp PSdata-State-10389-UKLDC1-PRODDS01
    * Every host: dxdisp PSdata-State-10389-UKLDC1-PRODDS02

Copy data from master to each newly added DSA
    * OKCSTAGEDS02: dxserver stop PSdata-State-10389-OKCSTAGEDS02
    * OKCSTAGEDS02: copy $DXHOME/data/PSdata-State-10389-OKCSTAGEDS02.db to UKLDC1-PRODDS01: $DXHOME/data/PSdata-State-10389-UKLDC1-PRODDS01.db
    * OKCSTAGEDS02: copy $DXHOME/data/PSdata-State-10389-OKCSTAGEDS02.db to UKLDC1-PRODDS02: $DXHOME/data/PSdata-State-10389-UKLDC2-PRODDS01.db
    * OKCSTAGEDS02: dxserver start PSdata-State-10389-OKCSTAGEDS02

Now start new peers
    * UKLDC1-PRODDS01: remove transaction log $DXHOME/data/PSdata-State-10389-UKLDC1-PRODDS01.tx (prevent old transactions be applied)
    * UKLDC1-PRODDS01: dxserver start PSdata-State-10389-UKLDC1-PRODDS01
    * UKLDC1-PRODDS02: remove transaction log $DXHOME/data/PSdata-State-10389-UKLDC1-PRODDS02.tx (prevent old transactions be applied)
    * UKLDC1-PRODDS02: dxserver start PSdata-State-10389-UKLDC1-PRODDS02

Verify
    * Verified that replication is working

If replication is still no working, please log a support ticket.

Good luck!!

Justin

• 11.  Re: Can't get Multiwrite last updated time for 'PS'

Posted Aug 30, 2016 04:59 AM

Justin,

Appreciate your help. The issue is fixed now.

The schema files were missing so i added those files and updated the .dsi configs. I restarted the servers and it worked.

Thanks for your help Justin.