Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  DX Dashboard for VMWare Datastore

Posted Dec 20, 2021 08:45 AM
    We're looking at OI and DX Dashboards.  There is an Out Of The Box dashboard for VMWare Datastores, and I'm wondering if we could get a look at how this dashboard looks in other environments.  Specifically, I'd like to know if the "Datastore Read vs Write Latency" chart should be showing data for VMs or for hosts?  I thought we were collecting the right data for this and we were just seeing a single value for read and write on the chart.  After doing some other work, the chart suddenly started showing data points from multiple VMs.  The other charts on the dashboard "Datastore Read vs Write Average Operations", "Datastore Read Rate vs Write Rate", and "Datastore Storage Usage vs Storage Provisioned" are currently presenting one data set for each item as the title would suggest.

I'm hoping to get a shot of how this dashboard looks on another system.  Also maybe some guidance on what I need to configure in our VMWare probe template so we can get the right information.  The queries for the charts use the Metric Type, and don't specifically name the metrics we need.  Getting the data we have was a process of adding and removing metrics from the template until data showed up.

Our charts look something like this:

• 2.  RE: DX Dashboard for VMWare Datastore

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 21, 2021 03:54 AM
    Hi Steve
    it seems you are after these 2 metrics:

Datastore Total Read Latency
    Datastore Total Write Latency

UIM reports them at 2 levels: HOST_DATASTORE and VM_DATASTORE
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/GA/alphabetical-probe-articles/vmware-vmware-monitoring/vmware-metrics.html

Now to see if your probe is reporting that metric I recommend you do a "Save as.." of the VMWare DataStore" dashboard and edit the Datastore latency panel as follows:

That will enable you to see the "Latency" related metrics reported by vmware probe.
    Another option is first to explore the metrics in UIM to see if your probe is collecting them

HTH to get you started
    Nestor

• 3.  RE: DX Dashboard for VMWare Datastore

Posted Dec 21, 2021 06:47 AM
    Thanks for the reply.  We are getting the data, I was able to view it from the Metric Viewer in OC

Thanks

Steven Moore
    DTMB-EOC-DC
    Enterprise Monitoring
    517-898-4094

• 4.  RE: DX Dashboard for VMWare Datastore

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 21, 2021 06:53 AM
    Excellent news. Thanks for the feedback Steven

Nestor Falcon

Solution Engineering | Agile Operations Division

Broadcom Software

mobile: +34 687974881

This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and destroy any printed copy of it.