Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  Disk Metrics to Physical Hosts on CCR

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 21, 2017 09:57 AM

Hi,

I have an eHealth DataSource environments and I have one question.

When I do the pull data and migration of this data, when viewing in the CCR report in the area of Physicas Server Reports in the menu "Data Manager Physical Host Details"

There are some reports such as:

- Disk Write Rate by Host
    - Disk Read Rate by Host
    - Disk Utilization by Host

Like below on the left area

But none of these reports show data.

I noticed that in your queries there is a metric search that is not related to eHealth for example:

select to_char(gmtdate,'yyyymmddhh24mi') as datetime,
    metricvalue from HYP_GLOBAL_SYSTEM_VIEW
    where gmtdate between to_date({StartTime},'yyyymmddhh24mi') and to_date({EndTime},'yyyymmddhh24mi')
    and HOST = '{SYS}'
    and metricname = 'GBL_DISK_WRITE_BYTE_RATE'
    ORDER by DATETIME

And in the documentation at https://docops.ca.com/ca-capacity-management/2-9-4/en/administrating/capacity-command-center-administration/using-data-adapters-to-collect-data -from-monitoring-tools / ca-ehealth-data-collection

It says eHealth Data Manager Metric are for example:

There is no GBL_DISK_WRITE_BYTE_RATE in this list

The DataSource eHealth collects this data:

SELECT pe.sys_name AS server_name,
    e.sys_name,
    e.elem_timezone,
    m.sample_timestamp,
    m.deltatime,
    m.DISKREADS,
    m.DISKWRITES,
    m.DISKREADSWRITES,
    m.DISKAVGREADTIME AS DISK_READ_SERVICE_TIME,
    m.DISKAVGTRANSFERTIME AS DISK_AVG_SERVICE_TIME,
    m.DISKAVGWRITETIME AS DISK_WRITE_SERVICE_TIME,
    m.DISKBUSYTIME AS DISK_UTILIZATION,
    CASE
    WHEN m.DISKXFERBYTES IS NULL
    THEN m.DISKBYTESTRANSFERRED / DELTATIME
    ELSE m.DISKXFERBYTES
    END AS DISK_TOTAL_BYTE_RATE,
    m.DISKQUEUELENGTH AS DISK_AVG_QUE_LEN,
    m.DISKREADBYTES AS DISK_READ_BYTE_RATE,
    m.DISKWRITEBYTES AS DISK_WRITE_BYTE_RATE
    FROM NHV_ST_B_DISK m,
    NH_ELEMENT e,
    NH_ELEM_ASSOC a,
    NH_ELEMENT pe
    WHERE
    m.deltatime > 0
    AND e.element_id = m.element_id
    AND e.element_id = a.element_id
    AND a.parent_id = pe.element_id
    AND sample_timestamp BETWEEN DGE_FROM_DATETIME AND DGE_TO_DATETIME
    AND pe.sys_name IN (DGE_SERVERS_LIST)

But it does not showed on CCR Reports.

Has anyone ever experienced any problems or managed to display data from physical server disks?

I have already looked at eHealth and there is data collected in your database, disk consumption information but the CCR does not display.

Thanks

Luciano Salino

• 2.  Re: Disk Metrics to Physical Hosts on CCR

Posted Jul 21, 2017 10:38 AM

You are looking at data that would be loaded into the DISK tables in Data Manager, is that right?

If so, this is NOT a global metric, a global metric is the total of all disks attached to a HOST or VM.

When you see a metric name called "GBL_*" it means it is a SUM for the Host or VM.

You would need to adjust the data adapter SQL to compute the total DISK and then store that in the SERVER_FACT table.

One way might be to write a new data adapter to read from the Disk tables and compute a GBL_DISK_WRITE_BYTE_RATE and GBL_DISK_READ_BYTE_RATE for the host.

The HYP_CA_APM90  data adapter stores this metric if you want to look at an example.

<destinations>
                <server_metrics>
                    <required_fields>
                        <metric_time source="date"/>
                        <gmt_offset source="DGE_GMT_OFFSET"/>
                        <server_id source="server_name"/>
                    </required_fields>
                    <optional_fields>
                        <duration source="duration"/>
                    </optional_fields>
                    <metrics>
                        <metric name="GBL_DISK_PHYS_READ_RATE" unit="transfers / second" source="disk_total_read_rate"/>
                        <metric name="GBL_DISK_PHYS_WRITE_RATE" unit="transfers / second" source="disk_total_write_rate"/>
                        <metric name="GBL_DISK_PHYS_RDWR_RATE" unit="transfers / second" source="disk_total_readwrite_rate"/>
                        <metric name="GBL_DISK_READ_BYTE_RATE" unit="bytes / second" source="disk_total_read_byte_rate"/>
                        <metric name="GBL_DISK_WRITE_BYTE_RATE" unit="bytes / second" source="disk_total_write_byte_rate"/>
                        <metric name="GBL_DISK_TOTAL_BYTE_RATE" unit="bytes / second" source="disk_total_readwrite_byte_rate"/>
                    </metrics>
                </server_metrics>
            </destinations>

The VMWARE data adapter stores these similar metrics:

<metric name="GBL_LS_DISK_TOTAL_BYTE_RATE" unit="bytes per second" source="disk_bytes_rate"/>
    <metric name="GBL_LS_NETWORK_BYTES_TOTAL_RATE" unit="bytes per second" source="network_bytes_rate"/>

David

• 3.  Re: Disk Metrics to Physical Hosts on CCR
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 21, 2017 11:47 AM

David, 

Thanks for your response.

So, I got it. But CCR doesn't show any information about disk servers data from eHealth collect of DataSource.

When you says "One way might be to write a new data adapter to read from the Disk tables and compute a GBL_DISK_WRITE_BYTE_RATE and GBL_DISK_READ_BYTE_RATE for the host." Are you mean that I should to create a new data adapter for eHealth?

If I want to collect from eHealth

DISKREADSWRITES
    DISKREADS
    DISKWRITES

I have to create a new data adapter with this informations from eHealth and populate to Data Manager?

Thank you very much.

• 4.  Re: Disk Metrics to Physical Hosts on CCR

Posted Jul 21, 2017 12:13 PM

Not a new eHealth data adapter, but check in Data Manager "DISK_DIM" table to see if you have hostname.disknames.

This might allow you to build a data adapter that reads the DISK_Fact table in Data Manager and build up to the GBL_* disk metrics you need.

The data adapter would be similar to the DM_GROUPS data adapter, in that it reads from the Data Manager database.

To stage data for Groups.

This is just a thought...  I don't know for sure if you have enough detail from eHealth in the Disk tables to build what you need.

David

• 5.  Re: Disk Metrics to Physical Hosts on CCR

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 21, 2017 12:35 PM

I don't know if it can be useful but I made a little edition to add another report with this informations:

In the PHYSICAL_CORE.xml I edited this query part

<SelectCommand Name="diskread" Property="False" SupportedViewTypes="Trend">
    <![CDATA[
    select to_char(gmtdate,'yyyymmddhh24mi') as datetime,
    metricvalue from HYP_DISK_VIEW
    where gmtdate between to_date({StartTime},'yyyymmddhh24mi') and to_date({EndTime},'yyyymmddhh24mi')
    and HOST = '{SYS}'
    and metricname = 'DISK_PHYS_READ_RATE'
    ORDER by DATETIME
    ]]>
    </SelectCommand>

And the result was

In HYP_DISK_VIEW there are the metric_names that we need to use. In other words, this table is very similar with HYP_GLOBAL_SYSTEM_VIEW