Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  CA SOI: Relate alerts with an CI

Posted Nov 16, 2017 10:35 PM

Hello everyone, I have the following doubt:
    Can I create an CI manually in CA SOI and relate it through the MdrElementID with an alert generated through a snmp policy?

• 2.  Re: CA SOI: Relate alerts with an CI

Posted Nov 16, 2017 11:17 PM

Hi Martin,

as a genericrule in SOI, CIs have to be created via the same connector as the Alerts which are attached to them.

Otherwise there is a mismatch in the Mdr-Triple (Product, ProdInstance, ElementId) linking the two together.

When you make use of the SNMP Connector, the CI can be dynamically generated via the same policy.

Please let me know more details about what you want to achieve, and I can better guide you - SNMP Connector is one of my favorite areas to work on.

MichaelBoehm

• 3.  Re: CA SOI: Relate alerts with an CI

Posted Nov 17, 2017 07:23 AM

Hello Michael,
    Thanks in advance.
    What I am trying to do is integrate the PRTG with the CA SOI, I have already generated a policy (with which I have replaced the default policy). This policy allows me to generate the alarm but not the correct CI, since it appears with the name Unknown and in the Entity class, not in the Computer System.
    The container 3.4.2 is installed on a separate server and the version of the connector is 4.2.

Attachment(s)

zip
    trap.zip   803 B 1 version
    zip
    snmp_policy.xml.zip   1 KB 1 version

• 4.  Re: CA SOI: Relate alerts with an CI

Posted Nov 20, 2017 08:57 AM

Hi Martin,

thanks for sharing the policy and trap.

The policy looks fine - but I can see one thing that you are missing, and that can cause unexpected behavior:

As part of the Alert and Item classes, add the following Write block.  It ensures that variables are passed from one class to the next.  Without that, I have seen all kinds of weird problems.

<Write>
        <Field type="publishcache" properties="*" />
      </Write>

And one more thing:

Whenever you are in the process of developing a policy for the SNMP connector, you have to "remove" the connector for every new policy to work properly.  Sometimes there are "left-overs" from some tests which disturb the proper processing.

Please let me know if that helps.

If not, you have to set the connector into debug, and we have to see why the CI does not get generated.

MichaelBoehm

• 5.  Re: CA SOI: Relate alerts with an CI

Posted Nov 21, 2017 02:19 PM
      |   view attached

Hello Michael, Thanks for the help, I applied your recommendations but now I get another error, I attach the respective log.

Attachment(s)

zip
    invalidCIs.log.zip   2 KB 1 version

• 6.  Re: CA SOI: Relate alerts with an CI

Posted Nov 22, 2017 02:42 AM

Hi Martin,

can you please attach the policy.

Something seems to be wrong in it,

MichaelBoehm

• 7.  Re: CA SOI: Relate alerts with an CI

Posted Nov 22, 2017 06:40 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Michael,

I attach the policy.

Attachment(s)

zip
    snmp_policy.xml.zip   1 KB 1 version

• 8.  Re: CA SOI: Relate alerts with an CI
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 22, 2017 08:14 AM

Please don't use the 3.4.2 Container - it is not compatible with the SNMP Connector.

Use the previous 3.4.1 version.

I did not spot that information earlier. but was concentrating on the policy - which looks good to me

MichaelBoehm

• 9.  Re: CA SOI: Relate alerts with an CI

Posted Nov 23, 2017 11:00 AM

Hello Michael,

You are right, the SNMP connector is not compatible with the 3.4.2 container. 

Thanks for your help.