Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  Integrating SOI

Posted Oct 25, 2016 10:57 AM

Hi All,

We have Spectrum Integrated with UIM ,now we are deploying SOI  ,what is the best tool to integrate with SOI Spectrum or UIM  ..I have an idea of integrating with Spectrum since it has a single point of view of all tools .Kindly suggest on this 

• 2.  Re: Integrating SOI

Posted Oct 25, 2016 11:22 AM

Hi,

this is a great question and depends on what you want to achieve - there is no single answer:

Using the UIM Connector gives you all the granular objects, e.g. Alerts are assigned to individual objects (such as Processes, Disks, Databases, ...) rather than the device-level objects.  Spectrum does not know about this level of objects coming from UIM and assigns all messages to the parent.  For Business Service Models you mainly need all the granular objects.

Spectrum can perform some Root-Cause-Analysis in the context of the network topology when UIM is integrated into Spectrum.

When only using the Spectrum Connector, everything comes into SOI as "Spectrum" Alerts and CIs, and as such SOI has no knowledge about that they come from UIM originally, for example there is no Launch-in-Context to the UIM Portal from SOI.

When using both Connectors (e.g. UIM and Spectrum) to SOI you can face multiple issues:

• duplicate Alerts (there is no automatic suppression, because the Alerts come from different Connectors and are assigned to different CIs)
    • loops/inconsistencies in updating information especially when using Synchronization to both systems from SOI
    • not all updates (Acknowledge, Ticket Number, Maintenance) are synchronized in all directions if they are performed in one system

Thus, to use both Connectors and the Spectrum-UIM integration has to be carefully analysed and configuration is required to avoid some of the above issues.

A "Best Practices Guide" to handle this triple-integration is under development, but there are also adoptions in the Connectors required to handle this situation.

At the moment there is only one answer: It depends .

MichaelBoehm

• 3.  Re: Integrating SOI

Posted Oct 25, 2016 01:12 PM

Thanks MichaelBoehm

Because we have a distributed environment with 6 primary spectro servers (different regions),if i want to integrate with Spectrum i need to deploy 6 SOI servers across all  regions and its needs to connected .Else it can be done with MLS server ?

If whether UIM overcomes better than Spectrum with SOI we will go with UIM ,since single SOI setup is required to achieve this.UIM has only one Primary site and all the integrations has to been done in that ,if i am going to integrate with UIM whether SOI has a capable of managing all assets in a single server.

• 4.  Re: Integrating SOI

Posted Dec 01, 2016 11:29 AM

Praveen, did the response here from Michael satisfy your question that we can now mark it as answered?  i wanted to be sure before i marked it as such.  Thanks!