Service Operations Insight

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

• 1.  Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted Apr 28, 2015 04:39 AM

Hi All,

We have Nimsoft 6.5 integrated with SOI 3.1SP1 via some scripts and Universal connector.

Connector version for reference: UniversalConnector Connector Version 3.1.0.327.20140806

We are testing a similar integration, only this time Nimsoft UIM 8.2 and SOI 3.2 need to be integrated.

Universal connector version this time is: UniversalConnector Connector Version 3.2.0.327.20140522, which is as desired.

We are unable to process events and populate them on the SOI 3.2 Console while it is conveniently happening in SOI 3.1.

Are we missing out on some compatibility check, or need to install an update on the Nim server(it has the UC component installed)? Any suggestions regarding this will be very helpful.

Thanks

Deepika

• 2.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted Apr 28, 2015 05:20 AM

Hi Deepika,

Firstly, you have to upgrade the Universal Connector Client on the UIM Server to the same version (e.g. SOI 3.2 - why dont you use SOI 3.3 C1 if you are in the process of upgrading anyhow?).

Secondly, you have to double check the syntaxt that you are using when calling the UC Client - it has changed somewhen (to native USM schema), but I don't remember exactly when.  Refer to the examples that are installed in the SOI subdirectory.

Michael

• 3.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted Apr 28, 2015 06:08 AM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the update.

I am not quite sure how to proceed with 'upgrading the Universal Connector Client on the UIM Server to the same version ie. SOI 3.2'. does it require an installation of the IFW proxy update patch- RO068023??

If this works well, then we might not need to check for the syntax related stuff.

Thanks

Deepika

• 4.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted Apr 28, 2015 08:51 AM

Hi Deepika,

which SW components of SOI did you install on the UIM Server?

You wrote you are executing the UC scripts from that machine, so I assume the UC Client is installed on that machine (just for clarification: the UC itself is only running on the SOI Server. The component you install on remote servers is the UC Client).

You have to use the SOI 3.2 media and start the SOI installation.  It will detect the installed UC Client and proceed to upgrade this component to 3.2.

The UC Client does not make use of IFW or Catalyst - these are components used for Connectors.

If you have other connectors installed, you have to upgrade all of the IFW/Catalyst components to be in synch with the Manager (running SOI 3.2).

But as I wrote above - this has nothing to do with the UC Client.

Regards

Michael

• 5.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted Apr 29, 2015 03:31 AM

Hi Michael,

As for the SOI 3.3 version, we're planning of keeping at 3.2 for a while and then move ahead with the upgrade sometime later. Also need to make sure compatibility with UIM everytime. So one step at a time.

The UIM server has only the UC client installed on it as of now, might get upgraded to becoming a Catalyst Connector soon. So as much as I get this, the SOI 3.2(DVD12122020E) is to be installed on the UIM too, and it will detect that UC_Client is the component to be upgraded wrt 3.2 and in addition to that if there are any CU1/2/3 patches installed on UC server then that to be installed on UC_Client as well. Is that right?

Let me try the same and update! Thanks for the guidance.

Deepika

• 6.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted Apr 29, 2015 05:17 AM

Hi Deepika,

Regarding SOI 3.3:  The SOI version is independent of the Connector versions.  E.g. you can run an SOI 3.3 Server and continue to use the same Connector (for example UIM) as for the SOI 3.2 system.  The part that has to be upgraded on all servers is the IFW, to keep all components on the same level.

Rgarding the upgrade: Yes, you described the process correctly.  The UC Client has to be upgraded, using the SOI 3.2 DVD.

Regarding patches: In every patch description you find for which component the patch should be used.  If there are patches that are related to the UC Client, also install them.

Keep me updated about your progress and if you need further help.

Michael

• 7.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted Apr 29, 2015 07:04 AM

Hi Michael,

It seems there is still a disconnect.

Attached screenshots for the same, when I try installing the 3.2 setup, I am prompted with the patch as prerequisite. When I execute the patch, I am told 'none of the required components found''on the server.

Still missing out something.

• 8.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted Apr 29, 2015 07:07 AM

SOI_Installation.JPGRO60285_Install.JPG

• 9.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted Apr 29, 2015 07:48 AM

Hi Deepika,

there is a known problem when upgrading a machine where only the UC Client is installed (similar to "Cannot upgrade version 3.2.0.1 to 3.2.0.284" Error - CA Service Operations Insight - 3.2 - CA Wiki).

Please perform the following steps:

1. Navigate to the SOI_HOME\Patches folder.
    2. Create a text file that is named SOIPatch.internal.
    3. Open the file for editing and add the following string:
      RO60285
    4. Save the file.
    5. Run the soi-installer.exe to upgrade the Universal Connector Client.

RO60285 is SOI 3.1 SP1, but the patch did not apply to the UC Client.

If this does not resolve the problem, you should contact CA Support for further analysis.

Michael

• 10.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted May 04, 2015 07:00 AM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the information. Went through the wiki, but it says issue is Not for the case where "Only the Universal Connector Client is installed on the server"

I did try those steps however; not able to create the file as an INTERNAL type, it remains as a flat file. The folder itself does not allow to create a flat file. If I copy the file from other server with these components, and edit it, getting 'Access Denied'.

The Folder does not have the File structure similar to those in SAM or UI servers (presence of a Log file, .HIS file etc).

• 11.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2
    Best Answer

Posted May 04, 2015 11:16 AM

Hi Deepika.

if you cannot create this file, I assume the user you are logged in with does not have Administrator rights on the system.

You should be able to rename the file to .internal, even if you create it as .txt (or similar) during creation.

I recommend to open an issue at CA Support to follow up on this.

I just tested the procedure on one of my machines:

• I have UC Client 3.1 SP1 installed.
    • When trying to upgrade as you did, I get the same error.
    • When following the procedure I recommendet (creating the missing file with the entry), all works fine.

So it really seems to be related to missing access rights.

MichaelBoehm

• 12.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted May 05, 2015 05:31 AM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the information. I will check for the rights once again, and if required will seek guidance from Support.

Thanks again

Regards

deepika

• 13.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted May 06, 2015 06:26 AM

hi Michael,

I have been able to successfully upgrade the UC Client as recommended by you. Thanks very much for the guidance!

The only thing now remaining is troubleshooting for the alerts to publish them on the live SOI console, which we are checking.

thanks again.

• 14.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted Jun 23, 2015 09:55 AM

Hi Michael,

I have been trying to figure out a way to overcome the issue I have been facing (I mentioned in last update).

We are trying to publish alerts on the live SOI console, but not able to do so. Alerts are visible in the event policies as RAW alert, but do not appear on live alert console. No escalation policies enabled that can clear alerts.

Could you help put some light on it.

Thanks

Deepika

• 15.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 23, 2015 10:44 AM

Hi Deepika,

Most likely alert mandatory properties not being published, hence they do not show in SOI Alert Console.

You may enable debugging by updating \SOI\resources\log4j.xml and reproduce the problem by generating few alerts.

Now, check alert_raw & alert_pub files in \SOI\log\debugdata folder to see if all required properties are being published.

Also, make sure the triplet AlertedMdrElementID, AlertedMdrProdInstance, and AlertedMdrProduct must match the MdrElementID, MdrProdInstance and MdrProduct values of an existing sheet.

Thanks

Brahma

• 16.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted Jun 23, 2015 11:21 PM

Hi Deepika,

Can you try sending alerts to SOI manually via command line from Universal Client machine as below

<Drive>:\..CA\SOI>GCEventAddCmd.bat -h<SOI_Manager>:<Port> -aTestAlert1 -i<CI_Name> -cComputerSystem -sCritical -tRisk -m"Test Message"

See if this alert appears on SOI console.

You might need to create CI to SOI via GCEventAddcmd.bat if CI are not created already.

Thanks,

Ashay

• 17.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Posted Jun 29, 2015 05:07 AM

Hi Deepika,

if you still have problems:

Can you please send me the xml-files you are using to create the CIs and to generate Alerts via the Universal Connector.

MichaelBoehm

MichaelBoehm

MichaelBoehm

Michael.Boehm@ca.com

MichaelBoehm

• 18.  Re: Universal Connector for NIM 8.2-SOI 3.2

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 30, 2015 05:17 AM

Hi Deepika,

As discussed y'day, you need to pass valid 'Severity' values when generating alerts thru Universal connector. The valid values for 'Severity' attributes are 'Normal', 'Minor', 'Major', 'Critical' etc.

This has been changed in post SOI 3.1 SP1 (I guess), the numeric values for Severity attributes doesn't work, hence SOI manager deleting these alerts. Now alerts are being processed and visible in SOI console with above Severity values.

Thanks

Brahma