Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  SOI Action: Play sound upon certain alert criteria?

Posted Jan 28, 2015 11:33 AM

Was asked if SOI can play a wav,mp3 file upon a particular alert hitting the console? I thought sure if we use the "Action: Execute Command" but then read that the action can only run on the SOI MGR machine.

Is there a way to play say an Alarm.mp3 when say alerts that we know are a big deal hit the console? I dont' want the Play Computer Speaker "Beep" b/c that would drive the NOC nuts.

The sound would have to have to I guess be played form a common wav/mp3 file located on all the NOC desktops in a particular folder. If all NOC engineers use the same VDI image then this uniformity would exist to exclude this requirement to play the sound.

• 2.  Re: SOI Action: Play sound upon certain alert criteria?

Posted Jan 29, 2015 08:47 AM

I would create an 'idea' for this.  My thought is that it just wont be possible since SOI doesn't have any 'media player' built in.  Meaning that even if you put the file on each box, or even on a shared network drive, the action would call the mp3, which would then open up an external media player.  Eventually you may have to play some games with batch/perl to run whatever media player minimized so it doesn't pop up on the screen.  Just a thought.

• 3.  Re: SOI Action: Play sound upon certain alert criteria?

Posted Jan 29, 2015 10:34 AM

You might want to play with a tool such as PsExec (part of Windows PSTools).  It can send commands to remote machines (also listed in a file).

If you make sure the same player and the same mp3 file is on every system, it can possibly work.
    You have to make sure though that the user running SOI on the SOI-Manager has sufficient priviledges to execute this command.

• 4.  Re: SOI Action: Play sound upon certain alert criteria?

Posted Jan 29, 2015 10:52 AM

Nice Idea, didn't even think of that.