Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  soimgr-error.log What creates this file 25+GB? How to Disable?

Posted May 20, 2015 12:56 AM

Hello, just noticed I'm running low on disk space no my SOI-MGR box and noticed that I have in my CA\SOI\tomcat\logs\soimgr-error.log file that is over 25GB.

I cannot delete this file while services are running and I turned off all entries in the log4j.xml file. Also checked the SOI-MGR debug page and turned off all debugging. Still can't delete this file. Can anyone tell me how do I disable this so I can delete this file?

In the very last section of log4j.xml I have the <root> block:

<root>

<level value="ERROR" />

<appender-ref ref="ROOT" />

</root>

I tried commenting out this entire file saving it but then still cannot delete.

Thank you,

Dan

• 2.  Re: soimgr-error.log What creates this file 25+GB? How to Disable?

Posted May 20, 2015 01:12 PM

Don't know what would cause this...here is what a grep of SOI 3.3 turned up for the word "soimgr-error.log"

\CA\SOI\SamUI\work\Catalina\localhost\sam\org\apache\jsp\debug\dbPerf_002duis_jsp.class
    15 Manager debug ä soimgr-debug.log* æ soimgr-debug.*\.log.*

\CA\SOI\SamUI\work\Catalina\localhost\sam\org\apache\jsp\debug\dbPerf_002duis_jsp.java
    60     final String [] LOG_INF_SSC = { "MGR-CNS", "Manager consolidated", STR_MGR_LOG_PATH, "soimgr-error.log*",       "true",  "soimgr-error\\.log.*"        };

\CA\SOI\SamUI\work\Catalina\localhost\sam\org\apache\jsp\debug\debug_jsp.class
    13 Manager debug å soimgr-debug.log* ç soimgr-debug.*\.log.*

\CA\SOI\SamUI\work\Catalina\localhost\sam\org\apache\jsp\debug\debug_jsp.java
    377     final String [] LOG_INF_SSC = { "MGR-CNS", "Manager consolidated", STR_MGR_LOG_PATH, "soimgr-error.log*",       "true",  "soimgr-error\\.log.*"        };

\CA\SOI\tomcat\lib\log4j.xml
    207         <param name="File" value="&logDir;/soimgr-error.log"/>

\CA\SOI\SamUI\webapps\sam\debug\logCommon.jsi
    30     final String [] LOG_INF_SSC = { "MGR-CNS", "Manager consolidated", STR_MGR_LOG_PATH, "soimgr-error.log*",       "true",  "soimgr-error\\.log.*"        };

\CA\SOI\tomcat\webapps\sam\debug\logCommon.jsi
    30     final String [] LOG_INF_SSC = { "MGR-CNS", "Manager consolidated", STR_MGR_LOG_PATH, "soimgr-error.log*",       "true",  "soimgr-error\\.log.*"        };

\CA\SOI\tomcat\work\Catalina\localhost\sam\org\apache\jsp\debug\queueMonitor_jsp.class
    15 Manager debug Ü soimgr-debug.log* Þ soimgr-debug.*\.log.*

\CA\SOI\tomcat\work\Catalina\localhost\sam\org\apache\jsp\debug\queueMonitor_jsp.java
    58     final String [] LOG_INF_SSC = { "MGR-CNS", "Manager consolidated", STR_MGR_LOG_PATH, "soimgr-error.log*",       "true",  "soimgr-error\\.log.*"        };

\CA\SOI\tomcat\work\Catalina\localhost\sam\org\apache\jsp\debug\soiTriage_002dmgr_jsp.class
    16 Manager debug è soimgr-debug.log* ê soimgr-debug.*\.log.*

\CA\SOI\tomcat\work\Catalina\localhost\sam\org\apache\jsp\debug\soiTriage_002dmgr_jsp.java
    91     final String [] LOG_INF_SSC = { "MGR-CNS", "Manager consolidated", STR_MGR_LOG_PATH, "soimgr-error.log*",       "true",  "soimgr-error\\.log.*"        };

• 3.  Re: soimgr-error.log What creates this file 25+GB? How to Disable?
    Best Answer

Posted May 22, 2015 10:28 AM

OKAY!!! This was a weird one. I figured it out but really by chance. I went into the SOI MGR Debug page (http://<ip_soi_mgr>:7090/sam/debug) and in the LOG Download section I ws clicking around and saw the soimgr-error.log. There was a "DELETE" button available only when you opened the section that corresponded to the soimgr-error.log file. Well clicked it and it worked. It removed the 27GB error log file.

SOI-mgr-errorlogDelete.jpg

• 4.  Re: soimgr-error.log What creates this file 25+GB? How to Disable?

Posted Jun 01, 2015 04:17 AM

Thank You !!  Daniel for this post.  It saved us from having to restart our production SOI to clear up disk space filled up by soimgr-error.log

• 5.  Re: soimgr-error.log What creates this file 25+GB? How to Disable?

Posted Jun 03, 2015 09:41 AM

Need help here again. I just ran out of disk space b/c a new log file started to create itself now:

C:\Program Files (x86)\CA\SOI\tomcat\temp\loglog5477206004591608965.log

Can anyone from CA tell me how do I turn this logging off? Its 38GB and I have everything in log4j.xml every instance set to info. I don't see anything in the SAM debug page to turn this guy off or how to delete this file.

• 6.  Re: soimgr-error.log What creates this file 25+GB? How to Disable?

Posted Jun 03, 2015 01:26 PM

Hi Daniel,

For starters, I would open a ticket @ Support.

Next Thing is to investigate why this file growing so much as the SOI logs normally roll-over at a certain size.

Also, there must be something seriously wrong if you have an error lot that big.

Kind regards, Tom

• 7.  Re: soimgr-error.log What creates this file 25+GB? How to Disable?

Posted Jun 09, 2015 05:04 PM

Updating issue here. So support still looking into what actually causes this file to grow. But the way I was able to delete this file w/o shutting down SOI was by making use of the tool Process Explorer.

URL: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

I searched w/in PE for that log file and found it was being used w/in the SOI MGR java.exe. You can actually select the handle w/in java was writing to that file and close it. So w/in PE after you locate the file, r-click on it and say Close Handle. It will warn you. After you close it you can then delete the file. SOI was still functioning after the fact as alerts were still flowing.

I did follow it up with a full SOI cycle just to be safe but for anyone who is running out of space that's the only viable option I found.