DX Operational Intelligence

Expand all | Collapse all

Service Templates: Can we Copy but not reference Source ?

• 1.  Service Templates: Can we Copy but not reference Source ?

Posted 09-17-2015 12:49 PM

Is this possible? I'm trying to create a Service Template for say Cisco UC infrastructure. I created the Template_Cisco_UC then created all Group objects w/in this service.

I then wanted to start using this service for each of our clients so I did a Copy Service on the Template, then pasted it into a "Temp Service". Started editing it, renamed it and when saved it, it renamed and changed the Template one as well with all the changes.

So I'm guessing this isn't possible in the product currently with the existing functionality in place.

I'm thinking then as a work around: to create the template, then export it. Then for each client, modify a few key values and then import. I can then repeat this over and over as it should create a new client service template correct?

• 2.  Re: Service Templates: Can we Copy but not reference Source ?

Posted 09-17-2015 01:52 PM

Hi,

When you rename a service it only changes the Label of the service not the servicename value, for example, if you have a service named Test and you have changed the name to Test1 the servicename property value will stay as Test. You'll see the servicename property in "USM Properties", "USM Notebook" and SOI Properties tab.

I haven't tried that but you should be able to change the servicename in your exported file than import it.

Thanks

Shaheen

• 3.  Re: Service Templates: Can we Copy but not reference Source ?

Posted 09-17-2015 03:34 PM

Let me explain and ask why does SOI behave this way? Is there no way to Duplicate/Copy a service and then when its pasted into the new location to give it a new InstanceID?

What I had was the template defined at the root level:

CiscoUC_Template_Svc

----|___Grp1 <empty>

----|___Grp2 <empty>

Then I did a "Copy" on CiscoUC_Template_Svc, then paste it into Temp_Svc

TEMP_SVC:

|_CiscoUC_Template_Svc

----|___Grp1 <empty>

----|___Grp2 <empty>

I modified the CiscoUC_Template_Svc under the Temp_Svc, added CI's and then renamed it to Client1-UC. When I saved it, it also changed the original CiscoUC_Template_Svc to Client1 under the TEMP_SVC.

Client1

----|___Grp1 <empty>

----|___Grp2 <empty>

TEMP_SVC:

|_Client1

----|___Grp1 <empty>

----|___Grp2 <empty>

So this isn't a copy but more of a pointer to the original service as it behaves today.

• 4.  Re: Service Templates: Can we Copy but not reference Source ?

Posted 09-17-2015 04:18 PM

Well the export, import didn't work. Its not just as easy as changing the Service:servicename,ClientXXXX. All the other defined relationships have to be changes and point to a new object as well.

Is there any other way to Duplicate a Service?

• 5.  Re: Service Templates: Can we Copy but not reference Source ?

Posted 09-17-2015 05:37 PM

Hi,

Not to my knowledge. This issue has been dealt with in the past and the only workaround is to export->change servicename->import but if you have multiple child CIs with relationship defined then it becomes cumbersome to edit the exported xml file and in doing so things can go wrong. Have you thought about using Service Dicovery Policy?

Thanks

Shaheen

• 6.  Re: Service Templates: Can we Copy but not reference Source ?

Posted 09-18-2015 03:25 AM

Currently it is not possible to use "copy" to duplicate a Service.

Technically a copy does not create a new instance, but is solely used to use the same Service as Subservice in multiple other Services.

As you have properly identfied, and you can see this in the properties, you always link to the same Service - it is the same object.

The only thing that happens during a copy is to create a new relationship to a parent Service.

Thus, I would agree that "copy" is possibly the wrong term for this action.  It could be called "attach to parent".
    The reverse actions show the same: when you "delete" a Service, it will be gone in all locations.  the other option is to "remove from parent", this will only detach it from the current parent.

If you want to work in a way of templates, you can use the Universal Connector:

Prepare an xml file with the structure of the Service.

You have to add definitions to create the Service, the CIs and the relationships.

There is an example in the SOI root directory (or contact me to get further information).

You  can then use this xml file and by updating it according to every situation, create similar Services in a much easier way than using the export/update/import process.

You have to be very careful though to use names/properties for the CIs that fit the correlation criteria with existing CIs in your environment.

Otherwise you end up with Services, but the CIs dont have any information flow via Connectors.

MichaelBoehm