Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  GA UIM Connector policy file location?

Posted Jan 27, 2015 10:43 PM

ftp://ftp.ca.com/CAproducts/SOI/Connectors/Documentation/CA%20UIM%20Connector%20Guide.pdf

Just did a fresh Catalyst 3.4.1 install along with the UIM Connector latest version. A few comments:

1. Why is there no option during the install to say to NOT Auto Start services? Needs this.

2. During the install it, the installation Prompted me for "New Media" asking for Disk 1? I was installing from w/in the Disk1 folder? I tried specifying every single folder in Disk1 but almost gave up. I copied Disk1 to the root then just specified the D:\ and then that worked?

3. I stopped the CA Catalyst connector service after installation b/c i wanted to modify the policy file and I cannot find it. It is usually in :

• D:\CA\Catalyst\CatalystConnector\registry\topology\physical\SOI-CNCTR01_CatalystConnector\modules\policy   (or)
    • D:\CA\Catalyst\CatalystConnector\connector_registry\topology\physical\SOI-CNCTR01_CatalystConnector\modules\policy

But both of these directories are empty???

I tried looking at the UIM the documentation on the connector but the last section that mentions the policy files gives no location of the policy file? Does anyone know where this thing is located inthe latest version? Can anyone point this out?

TIA!

For Reference the UIM PDF points you to here: Connector Policy Customization Best Practices - CA Service Operations Insight - 3.3 - CA Wiki

Which then re-directs me to here:

We recommend that you use policy extensions to customize connector policy because they are not overwritten during an installation or upgrade.

• 2.  Re: GA UIM Connector policy file location?

Posted Jan 28, 2015 07:14 PM

Hello Dan,

To improve the upgrade process of Connectors we have implemented a change to the way that the Connector policy is shipped and customizations to the policy should be applied. We have started this change with the UIM Connector.

From the Community Update announcing the new UIM Connector

" Improved upgrade process for Connector customization

• External Customizations now preserves any site or implementation specific changes regardless of connector upgrade / updates
      • Please review Connector guide section ‘CA UIM Connector Policy’ on how to leverage this for connector customizations going forward."

Please review that section in the PDF you linked to and it will explain how you can see what the current policy is and information on how information on how the customizations should be added one final time.

• 3.  Re: GA UIM Connector policy file location?

Posted Jan 30, 2015 02:13 PM

Hi JP, can you provide any sample files that an extension file would look like and where it would need to go? All I would need is 1 entry to then work off of.

I checked the reference site but maybe its not using the right terminology or I'm using the wrong but what portion controls modifying Alerts with additional parameters?

Would those enhancements go into the same file as enhancing the CI's properties and just extends "Alerts" ?

I can't stand XML coding and just when I got used to the previous connector policy methods, the newest version of the GA UIM connector changes so I'm at a loss now. I'd like to move off the GD version I have but now this threw a new twist into the whole process.

• 4.  Re: GA UIM Connector policy file location?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 02, 2015 10:28 PM

For Alerts - Creating the Alert extension through the Event Management UI is the recommended way as it will create the XML for you (no XML coding required) and will maintain it so it can be deploy/un-deployed/modified in the future. Check out the section "Create an Event Policy with a Normalization Action" on the wiki page (more Direct Link)  Create an Event Policy with a Normalization Action - CA Service Operations Insight - 3.3 - CA Wiki for more details on how to do it.

For CIs - Below is the contents of an XML file named nimsoftconnector_policy.ciexample.xml. Create the file with the same name with the XML contents in the file in the  ~CA\Catalyst\CatalystConnector\container\data\Core\Catalogpolicy\Extensions directory. You will need to stop and start the Container (It is best to remove the Connector so that all your CIs get your policy changes). For more details check - https://wiki.ca.com/display/SOI33/How+to+Add+External+Extensions+to+CI+Types

For the CIs you should also make the update described here - https://wiki.ca.com/display/SOI33/CA+Catalyst+r3.x+Connectors+Having+Issues+Using+Certain+Connector+Attributes

<Catalog version='1.0'>

<EventClass name="ComputerSystem" extends="Item">

<Format>

<Field conditional="name" output="CIuserAttribute1" format="ComputerSystem...Name={0},MACAddress={1}" input="name,mac" />

</Format>

</EventClass>

<EventClass name="GenericIPDevice" extends="Item">

<Format>

<Field conditional="ip" output="CIuserAttribute1" format="GenericIPDevice...IP={0}" input="ip" />

</Format>

</EventClass>

</Catalog>

• 5.  Re: GA UIM Connector policy file location?

Posted Feb 09, 2015 09:19 AM

Hi JP. Thank you.. Would you possibly consider doing a demo of using the Event Management Feature to enhance the UIM alerts on say the next SOI WebCast or during the next sprint? I'm still lost as far as how this actually works. The documentation is too wordy and uses terms that I am not familiar with. I might be calling enhancing the policy with regards to the alerts one thing but the Wiki states it in a totally different way that I'm not following here.

On a WebEx and talking about this feature with the CA folks on the call will definitely help me and I think everyone else understand the usefulness of this feature w/in SOI. Since this is what will be used going forward it would be very helpful. A YouTube video would be even better.  :-)

• 6.  Re: GA UIM Connector policy file location?

Posted Feb 13, 2015 01:15 PM

Hi JP, two questions, so I tried this out and used the following as my extensions file:

The Wiki doesn't state this but what does the file name have to be? Can it be anything or a specific name?  TY -Dan

In your example above, its looks like your trying to assign properties to the CI's   CIuserAttribute1 property?  I don't see this a valid property at the CI level. When in the service molder, there is no tab that shows these CIuA1-10 properties. Are these only displayed at the Alert Level?