Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

exporting data

• 1.  exporting data

Posted Sep 12, 2019 07:01 AM
    I'm looking for a quick way to export all Features that were set to DONE from July 1 to July 31 and I want to include in the export all User Stories related to the feature and all Tasks related to the User Stories.

I've tried work views (I can see it all on the screen, but ONLY the features export (FAIL))
    I've tried Custom list with Deep Export (it all exports user stories and tasks but there are no features (FAIL))
    I've tried Portfolio view (again I can see it on the screen, but the screen doesn't export (FAIL))
    I've tried the Excel plug in (that only exports 1 work item type at a time (FAIL))

Please help!!!

• 2.  RE: exporting data

Posted Sep 12, 2019 10:41 AM
    Edited by Leah Pearlstein Sep 12, 2019 10:41 AM

Hi Stacy,

This custom grid with deep export should do the trick. The code can be added into a Custom HTML app (from the app catalog) The key is to go into "Edit App Settings" and change the Type to "Portfolio Item Feature" so that Features are exported as well. Once the correct Features are displaying (the app supports Filters and Show Columns), choose "Export Portfolio Items, User Stories and Tasks..." - the CSV will download automatically from there. 

https://github.com/RallyCommunity/custom-grid-with-deep-export/blob/master/deploy/App.txt

A screenshot of the Custom HTML app using code for Custom Grid with Deep Export from Rally Community Github
    Best, 
    Leah

------------------------------
    Lean Analyst
    EBSCO Information Services

• 3.  RE: exporting data

Posted Sep 12, 2019 03:02 PM
    The deep export would be perfect, but when I try to add the column 'Actuals'  It lets me choose it, but when I try to save it, the column never appears  Any thoughts?

• 4.  RE: exporting data

Posted Sep 12, 2019 10:42 AM
    Hey Stacey, 

If you tried the Custom List with Deep Export app, did you set it at the Features level then export PIs, User Stories, and Tasks? That works (without FAIL) ;)

John Streeter
    Customer Support Lead | ITSM & Rally Software

• 5.  RE: exporting data

Posted Sep 12, 2019 03:03 PM
    The deep export would be perfect, but when I try to add the column 'Actuals'  It lets me choose it, but when I try to save it, the column never appears  Any thoughts?

• 6.  RE: exporting data

Posted Sep 12, 2019 03:29 PM
    When you try to save a view it never appears? Or when you export?

John Streeter

• 7.  RE: exporting data
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 12, 2019 03:30 PM
    Worked for me just now:

John Streeter

• 8.  RE: exporting data

Posted Sep 13, 2019 05:56 AM
    Both, I can pick Actuals as a column, when I click apply it doesn't appear on the screen grid, nor does it export into the excel view

• 9.  RE: exporting data

Posted Sep 27, 2019 02:38 PM
    Any other suggestions on this, I'm not sure if you noted my response

"Both, I can pick Actuals as a column, when I click apply it doesn't appear on the screen grid, nor does it export into the excel view

Staff Technical Project Manager
    API Healthcare, now a part of symplr

• 10.  RE: exporting data

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 27, 2019 04:53 PM
    Hey Stacy,

I believe you need to make Actuals, 'visible' for both User Story and Task work items in the Workspaces & Projects fields configuration settings.  Here's the kb where I found the answer. 

https://ca-broadcomcsm.wolkenservicedesk.com/wolken/esd/knowledgebase_search?articleId=14391

-Edwin

• 11.  RE: exporting data

Posted Oct 02, 2019 01:22 PM
    Thank you so much!  This is exactly what the issue was!!! the Actuals now show up on the custom list deep export!

Staff Technical Project Manager
    API Healthcare, now a part of symplr

• 12.  RE: exporting data

Posted Sep 30, 2019 05:21 PM
    As a supplement to Edwin's answer, Actuals is an often misunderstood column and one that has to be enabled by an administrator in Rally. In my experience it's mainly used in two use cases that I outlined below, but you might be better off including the Estimate and To Do columns for tasks in your export.  The calculation is simple... Estimate - To Do = Actual.

Case 1, you have less mature teams who need help estimating task durations and need to compare Actual to Estimated hours. That sort of time tracking isn't common among Agile teams but the tool supports it if needed.

Case 2, you're using one of the seldom-implemented EVM apps in Rally that use the Actuals field. If you really must use Rally for time tracking and costing though, enabling the Time Tracker module for your Rally workspace might be a better solution.

Hope that's helpful.

Eric Nash
    Principal Agile Consultant
    Enterprise Studio by HCL Technologies