Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Filter out search results from Recycle Bin

Posted Sep 12, 2019 08:43 AM
    Hi,

This is my 1st ever post so please accept my apologies if I break any rules but I hope it's a fairly simple request (with a nice easy solution).  I have several Apps (I *think* they're all 'Custom List' but I can't recall) to show me Features Groups, Features & User Stories in various releases.  One such search is this (find 'orphaned' US against my username with no parent + show some special specific US):

(
      (
        (Owner.UserName = "<user email address>") AND
        (PortfolioItem = null) AND
        (parent = null)
      ) OR
      (
        (FormattedID = "US111111") OR
        (FormattedID = "US333444") OR
        (FormattedID = "US987654")
      )
    )

This has worked fine for months but now it is showing 2 US which I recently un-parented & then deleted.  How do I hide those?

• 2.  RE: Filter out search results from Recycle Bin

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 12, 2019 10:07 AM
    Hi Sean,

This is a great place to post questions like that!

One of the things to bear in mind with our query language is that the parenthetical grouping is very unusual.  The parenthesis are not really balanced on each side, but rather, they're heavily front loaded and then terminated throughout the individual clauses.  Here's a very brief example in our documentation: https://docs.ca.com/en-us/ca-agile-central/saas/grid-queries#problems

Using a more traditional grouping can result in non-working queries or unexpected results.

I put together a video that shows a trick to use one of our other pages as a query builder.  It might help you to redesign your query to come up with a set of results you're expecting and transfer that over to your custom list app: https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/viewdocument/using-work-views-as-a-wsapi-query-b?CommunityKey=f303f769-8d4c-44d9-924c-3845bba6444e&tab=librarydocuments

• 3.  RE: Filter out search results from Recycle Bin

Posted Sep 13, 2019 10:00 AM
    One other thing mentioned in the documentation that David linked is that OR conditions should come first.  For parentheses, the simple rule of thumb I use is that I begin with as many as left parentheses as the conditions, I end the first condition with a single right paren, and every other condition ends with two.  (Other formats will work but this way has always worked for me.)  So I would write your query as: ((((((FormattedID = "US111111") OR (FormattedID = "US333444")) OR (FormattedID = "US987654")) OR (Owner.UserName = "<user email address>")) AND (PortfolioItem = null)) AND (Parent = null))

What I can't explain is why deleted user stories are being returned for you.  You should only see them in the Recycle Bin itself.  I would suggest opening a support case with Broadcom so they can look at that.

• 4.  RE: Filter out search results from Recycle Bin
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 16, 2019 04:20 AM

The bracketing used by Rally is very odd to me but I tried it.  No change so looks like a data issue rather than the query, so I may log a ticket with Broadcom.  Thanks a lot.

SG

This email and the information contained herein is proprietary and confidential and subject to the Amdocs Email Terms of Service, which you may review at https://www.amdocs.com/about/email-terms-of-service