Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Relevance of Iteration States

Posted Oct 30, 2019 01:33 AM
    Hi

I would like to understand the impact of each of the values under the Iteration State drop-down (Planning, Committed & Accepted).
    Is there a different system behavior based on each value?
    Is there any impact to any Rally metrics/reports based on each value?

I could not find any additional information in the Rally help docs.

• 2.  RE: Relevance of Iteration States

Posted Oct 31, 2019 02:00 PM
    Hi Thomas,

One thing you may have noticed is when an Iteration has been marked as "accepted" work items can no longer be scheduled into that Iteration, as the Iteration is no longer displayed in the Iteration dropdown. Some customers find this to be useful behavior.

-Chuck

------------------------------
    Principal Agile Consultant
    HCL America, LTD.

• 3.  RE: Relevance of Iteration States

Posted Nov 03, 2019 10:21 PM
    Hi

I used the Team Planning page and navigated to an older Release timebox that had accepted iterations and was able to assign a work item into one of the "accepted" iterations. This does not seem to work. The same activity I could directly from within a work item (User story) as well, as in assign to an accepted iteration.

Is there any Rally documentation that states this behavior based on iteration states? Same time, does the iteration state have any impact on any Rally reports/metrics?

• 4.  RE: Relevance of Iteration States

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 05, 2019 09:55 AM
    Hi Thomas,

Here is an excerpt from Rally documentation on the field "State" of Iteration.
    State Specify the current condition of the iteration. Valid values are:
    • Planning: The iteration is not yet active and is still being planned for future activity.
    • Committed: The team has committed to the proposed set of work and is ready to begin the iteration. An iteration should be committed to before its start date.
    • Accepted: The team has met the iteration criteria.
    However, there is no constrained behavior based on the value chosen for the field. So, I would treat the above excerpt as a recommendation/best practice.
    Next, to the question, if there would be any impact on the reports being pulled based on this value; then the answer is straight forward Yes if your query/filter is based on this value.

Narayana Katreddi
    Agile Program Manager
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: Relevance of Iteration States

Posted Nov 05, 2019 10:35 AM
    This also confuses me. There seems to be nothing to lock the iteration or release, and nothing to filter out older values from being selected. 
    Today, you can filter and map current work to an iteration two years ago. And I'm unsure what the magic is that filters down to the values to select from iteration and release. Right now iterations show in the dropdown (11 of them p;us unscheduled) from July 24, 2019 through Feb 5, 2020.

What is the logic for when iterations show up in the dropdown?
    How can we lock a release or iteration bases on the final state or some other logic selector?

Enterprise Architect
    Intel Corporation