Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Adding Test Case to Defect - Best Practice?

Posted Jul 08, 2019 01:24 PM
    In a Rally defect, there are 2 places to list test cases - a field in the detail of the defect that allows for one test case, and then there's the test case tab that allows for multiple test cases to be listed. 

So what's the main difference between the 2 areas? Is the one on the detail page used for something different than reporting test results like the test case tab does? It almost seems like the test case field on the detail page acts as a link to a parent, while the test cases on the tab are more like children to the defect. 

In our world, defects can be generated as the result of running a scheduled test (e.g. regression testing), or they may be reported by users which then require a new test case to be created. We are trying to make sure that we have visibility to the results in the Iteration Status page, as well as through the Test Plan page. Any pointers would be appreciated.

------------------------------
    - Keith Jones
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Adding Test Case to Defect - Best Practice?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 09, 2019 01:43 AM
    Generally if the Defect is created as a result of a Test Case then that case would be the one listed in the Test Case field on the Detail page. For example, a failed test case may merit a defect so one is created. That test case would be listed on the detail page. You can also associate test cases on the Test Case tab. Any test cases included here should be ones needed to test the defect.

• 3.  RE: Adding Test Case to Defect - Best Practice?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 09, 2019 01:04 PM
    Hi Keith.

West is absolutely correct. I'll elaborate a little, I'm hoping it'll help rather than confuse things up:

The single test case on the Details page is similar in nature to the user story that's there as well. It's meant to hold the test case that's the driver of this defect, the one on behalf of which this defect was opened. The user story field there has the same purpose and you can select a user story if that is the 'origin' or the 'driver' of the defect.

The Test Cases tab is a whole separate collection of test cases that may be the result of this defect.

Going back to the Details tab, here is a very interesting point:
    The "Test Case" field and the "User Story" field are mutually exclusive. The reason is that the defect shall have just one 'origin' or 'driver'. In other parts of Rally we call it "Work Product". If you look at your Tasks, then you can see that a Task has a Work Product field. The Work Product field can be used to select from a number of artifacts.

A question that may come can then be: Why don't we have a Work Product field on the defect Details tab instead of these two fields for User Story and Test Case. Well, the reason for it is that actual work products must be artifacts which can be scheduled into iterations or releases. While a User Story is such artifact, a Test Case is not. Test Cases can not be scheduled into iterations/releases. Therefore, we can't have them selected as a Work Product field and that's why you see these 2 fields of User Story and Test Case and yet they're still mutually exclusive.

Like said, I hope this clarified it rather than confused things up :)

Sagi

• 4.  RE: Adding Test Case to Defect - Best Practice?

Posted Jul 10, 2019 09:46 AM
    Thank you both for the response. It makes perfect sense. I wasn't aware of the Work Product / Test Case reasoning - thank you for that additional information.

• 5.  RE: Adding Test Case to Defect - Best Practice?

Posted Jul 10, 2019 12:01 PM
    Sagi:  thanks for writing this, it is great information.  Is this information published in either the on-line documentation or in a knowledgebase article?

• 6.  RE: Adding Test Case to Defect - Best Practice?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 10, 2019 12:12 PM
    Hey Matt,

I don't believe it is captured in the online docs or a KB article. I'll see how we can make it available and reply again. Good tip, thanks Matt.

Sagi