Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  PI Objectives

Posted Dec 10, 2019 04:15 PM
    Is there currently a place where we can put PI Objectives (and also Iteration Goals)? It'd be cool to be able to store these within Rally so we don't have to have external documents for them. It'd also be cool if we could connect our user stories to specific objectives/goals.

------------------------------
    APO Manager, SAFe Program Consultant
    Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Company of Idaho

• 2.  RE: PI Objectives

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 11, 2019 03:26 AM
    Hi Emily,

One possibility is to use the Theme field of the Releases (for PI) and Iteration (for Sprint) artefacts and then you could use a custom app such as the one below to display them on a page. The Theme field is a Rich Text field so can hold quite a lot of formatted detail (including hyperlinks to other docs as you now have).

https://github.com/nikantonelli/Display-a-Sprint-Goal

As user stories are associated with both a Release and an Iteration, you could easily match the two up (PI Objective and Story list). If you already have Release and Iteration in use in a different way, then you could always (mis)use a Milestone to represent a goal/objective. For all these artefacts you can get CFD charts to show progress gainst the objective.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 3.  RE: PI Objectives

Posted Dec 11, 2019 08:39 AM
    Thanks, Nik. I'm sure your suggestions will do for the short term.

Do you know if Rally intends to ever create a dedicated page for these things? It seems most SAFey things are covered within Rally in some shape or form, but PI Objectives and Iteration Goals don't (yet) have their own spot, and it would be so helpful.

• 4.  RE: PI Objectives

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 11, 2019 03:28 AM
    Hi, Emily,
     you may want to look at the Plan - Timeboxes. There you can select in the dropdown Releases, Milestones or Iterations and set the descriptions and notes.
     Also you will probably have to create a tracking board for them and share it in the value stream, release train or team level as you will see fit in your environment.
     Regards,
     Anton.

• 5.  RE: PI Objectives

Posted Dec 11, 2019 08:37 AM
    Thanks, Anton. We use Timeboxes for iterations and releases, but I guess what I'm mostly looking for is a dedicated place for these things. A page or something just for these where you can switch between teams, see links, etc. This could work in the interim though.

• 6.  RE: PI Objectives
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 11, 2019 09:29 AM
    Our ART is experimenting with using Milestones to record PI objectives, as you can tie all kinds of work to them. The Milestones feature is still rather half-baked (global search doesn't work, and I think you still can't see them in the Recycle Bin), but within an ART it's easy enough to find one, dive in, see progress, etc.

SM, Agile Coach, Application Support
    Cigna

• 7.  RE: PI Objectives

Posted Dec 11, 2019 10:06 AM
    Edited by Emily Roseborough Dec 11, 2019 10:07 AM
    Thanks, David. I'm having trouble locating Milestones! Is it a page? App?

JK, just found it in Timeboxes. I'll take a look.