Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Team Board filter by owner - has it changed?

Posted Oct 29, 2019 04:07 PM
    Hi - I have some users asking me about the Team Board under Track.  They think that previously when they went to that screen, if they filtered by Owner and chose one username, the results would show them only work items owned by that user.  In fact, of the users reporting this, one manager still sees this result and I saw that earlier today.  But when I came back to the Team Board and tried to filter by Owner again, I began to see cards with that other users owned.  
    In exploring the Help Files, I found on this filtering help page that Team Board, Work Views and a few other screens filter by owner differently than other screens.  Apparently if you filter by owner on these screens, "the filter also displays all lower-level items (such as tasks for user stories or user stories for portfolio items) for that owner even if that owner does not own the top-level item."

Can anyone tell me if this has always been the case or is this a recent change?  I can't find the change documented so maybe we're just remembering wrong.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Team Board filter by owner - has it changed?

Posted Oct 29, 2019 04:12 PM
    @Marti Andrews I believe that's always been the case. To the best of my recollection filtering User Stories by owner has always returned stories owned by the selected user along with stories that have child objects owned by that user. In fact, I recall at least one case recently where that wasn't happening in the new Rally UI and it got logged as a defect.

Hope that helps.

------------------------------
    Eric Nash
    Principal Agile Consultant
    Enterprise Studio by HCL Technologies

• 3.  RE: Team Board filter by owner - has it changed?

Posted Oct 30, 2019 01:28 PM
    Agree with @Eric Nash​ on both accounts!

SHERI L. MOORE | SENIOR PRODUCT MANAGER
    ENTERPRISE PROGRAM MANAGEMENT OFFICE (ePMO)
    AMERICAN EXPRESS
    TRCN | 19640 N. 31st Avenue, MC: 18-02-01 | Phoenix, AZ 85027
    O: 602766-1656 | E: Sheri.L.Moore@aexp.com

• 4.  RE: Team Board filter by owner - has it changed?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 31, 2019 01:17 PM

Hi @Marti Andrews, @Legacy User, @Sheri Moore and everyone else,

yes - this has changed based on feedback we have received.
    The current Iteration Status page always had this filter rule:

Example:

• Developer A owns multiple tasks associated with story 'x', but story 'x' is owned by Product Manager B.
    • Filtering by Owner 'Developer A' will return story 'x' due to the task association. This allows for filtering by owner during stand-up ceremonies for example.

For the new UI we have implemented this filter for non portfolio level work items & their immediate child collections:
    • User Stories
    • Defects
    • Defect Suites
    • Test Sets

This filter rule currently applies to all pages in the new Rally UI. 

Would you expect the Owner filter to always filter based on the rules outlined above everywhere in the app?

We'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks!

Andrea

​​​

Product Manager
    Rally Software

• 5.  RE: Team Board filter by owner - has it changed?

Posted Oct 31, 2019 03:50 PM
    Edited by Sheri Moore Oct 31, 2019 03:50 PM
    I have discussed this with @Rick.Shipley on my team and yes we agree, we should be consistent throughout the system so that users don't have to remember how one page behaves over another page.  One rule across all the pages would be nice!

SHERI L. MOORE | SENIOR PRODUCT MANAGER
    ENTERPRISE PROGRAM MANAGEMENT OFFICE (ePMO)
    AMERICAN EXPRESS
    TRCN | 19640 N. 31st Avenue, MC: 18-02-01 | Phoenix, AZ 85027
    O: 602766-1656 | E: Sheri.L.Moore@aexp.com

• 6.  RE: Team Board filter by owner - has it changed?

Posted Nov 01, 2019 06:01 PM
    I definitely agree with the others - I like the Owner filter to show both things the user owns and things on which the user owns children, and it should be consistent across the tool.

Terry Ginzburg

• 7.  RE: Team Board filter by owner - has it changed?

Posted Dec 05, 2019 06:13 PM
    Agreed it should show tasks, defects, etc. as well.