Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Predecessors and Successors linking between user story

Posted Nov 26, 2019 08:09 AM
    Actually, through API we can create only one Successor or Predecessors and it would delete the existing association 

{ "HierarchicalRequirement": { "Predecessors":  { "_ref": "350472272192"}  }  } - works

{ "HierarchicalRequirement": { "Successors": [{ "_ref": "350472272192"},{"_ref": "350472272193"}]}} - Wont work 

And If you give an array it won't work. Now we would like to associate multiple Successors or Predecessors and this doesn't work through API. If we go with the reverse option by adding each user story with Successor or Predecessors it's just a  loop and we will have a single Successor . or Predecessors. Any alternative option would be much appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Predecessors and Successors linking between user story
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 26, 2019 11:03 AM
    Hi Dheeraj,

The best thing I find to do when something isn't obvious is to trace what the UI does. You can do this by opening the Developer Tools of your browser and selecting Network. (I use Chrome, so I will refer to the way that it does it.)

When the UI tries to save multiple items to a collection it uses a slightly different end point. You can save the original artefact without a Successor when you are creating it and then do a follow-on action to save the dependencies. If you set up a trace on the network activity, look for the item that comes up starting with 'batch?compact=true....'

------------------------------
    Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 3.  RE: Predecessors and Successors linking between user story

Posted Nov 27, 2019 12:11 AM
    Appreciate help. This really works

• 4.  RE: Predecessors and Successors linking between user story

Posted Nov 27, 2019 12:52 PM
    Awesomeness! Thank you, Nik, for sharing one of the methods that you employ as you go about being wise, helpful, and encouraging.

--Dan

Dan Burrow
    DevOps Engineer
    Optum Global Solutions