Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Team Status page

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 25, 2019 06:42 AM
    Hello Rally Community,
    I want to configure (add) additional fields in Track -> Team Status page. There is no option available for configuring for me.

Any insights from any one?

Thank you,
    Venu

• 2.  RE: Team Status page

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 28, 2019 07:50 AM
    Hi Venu,

Unfortunately, that page is one of the very ancient ones written with a specific purpose in mind. It is likely to be replaced soon as part of our UI refresh. It does not have any flexibility as you are asking.

It is the only page in which you can 'add' iteration capcities for users, but you can 'view' using other means. Here are two other ways to view:

1. Use a Custom List app on a page and then in the app settings choose the type as 'User Iteration Capacity'. There are really only a limited number of fields that are relevant here anyway.

2. Use a custom app and modify it to your needs. I did one that might be of use here: https://github.com/nikantonelli/TeamLoading2 

------------------------------
    Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 3.  RE: Team Status page

Posted Oct 29, 2019 09:09 AM
    @Nik Antonelli it won't quite solve the request above but the My Availability app is often overlooked in the Core app catalog and is the other way (outside of the Team Status page) for users to both view and set their availability. I find it much more user friendly and use it in most of the subscriptions where I coach. ​

Eric Nash
    Principal Agile Consultant
    Enterprise Studio by HCL Technologies

• 4.  RE: Team Status page

Posted Oct 29, 2019 09:12 AM
    @Venu Jetti what exactly do you want to do from Team Status that you can't do with the current page? If you're looking to let users set their iteration capacity then Nik is right, there are only a couple of ways to do that and none of them support viewing extra fields. If you're more interested in task loading and other facets of Team Status then there might be other options if you want to outline your use case here. ​

Eric Nash
    Principal Agile Consultant
    Enterprise Studio by HCL Technologies

• 5.  RE: Team Status page

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 30, 2019 03:34 AM
    Hello Eric,
    The Situation:
    If a story is not DONE by the end of the sprint, the story will be carried forward as it is. We do not want to just split the user stories for the sake of marking the stories DONE.
    We also do not mark the tasks to individual team members during the planning to bring collective ownership of the sprint commitment instead of task ownership.

The problem:
    Due to stories moving as it is, we get all the tasks of those stories moved with Estimates, Actuals. This is causing the individual team members capacity is shown in 'red' and overshoot.
    What am I trying to solve with this?
    I want to inculcate the habit of owning the tasks, filling the necessary details (Actuals and To Do) every day so that team can see the data during the retrospective about what tasks are taking more time and why are they taking. (reasons could be many; for example, learning involved, some tools can perform well, clarity on discovered use cases arrive faster, etc..)

The current Team Status page does not allow to generate to serve this purpose.

Thank you,
    Venu

• 6.  RE: Team Status page
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 30, 2019 10:07 AM
    Hi Venu,

Here comes a raw stream from my Agile coach :

Two week sprint equals 10 working days equals a max of 60 working hours per person. The granularity of your stories should be around 5 stories per person per sprint (give or take a bit).

If stories are habitually not being finished, then there may be an issue with story definition and/or story sizing. Planning to exactly 100% commitment is setting yourself up for failure.

The overriding mantra here is: plan to complete by committing to less, but pull items forward if you finish early. This removes the problem with tasks taking more time than you planned. It still allows you to delight your stakeholders because you occasionally bring things early.

Something going red is not necessarily a problem. The same goes for story points: if you finish early and pull stories forward, your sprint metrics go red because you end up with more stories and points in the sprint than you originally forecast. So what do you  in this situation? Manually update the sprint capacity every time you pull a story forward?

Accept 'red' as something to note rather than something to fix.

You might find this custom app useful in your management of the team: https://github.com/nikantonelli/TeamLoading

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software