Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Find usage of tags

• 1.  Find usage of tags

Posted Feb 11, 2019 02:59 PM

I want to find out if and how many times a certain has been used in the entire workspace. Is there a way to do this from the Workspaces & Projects section, where we can do Tag management?

(I found this thread - How to find unused tags in workspace?  but even with the longer method mentioned in there, I don't know how to export a list of all tags)

Regards,

Nivi

• 2.  Re: Find usage of tags

Posted Feb 11, 2019 03:06 PM

Follow up question:

Is creation/archival/deletion of a tag not tracked in the revision history of the workspace? 

• 3.  Re: Find usage of tags
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 11, 2019 03:49 PM

Niveditha, There is a free to use app on Github.  While it is not supported by CA, it is supported by the Community and effectively used by many Admins.  It shows you the tag usage throughout the entire workspace - along with other details and allows you to manage the tags.  Please take a look and see if it helps you out.

GitHub - RallyTechServices/tag-management: App for managing tags 

-Edwin 

• 4.  Re: Find usage of tags

Posted Feb 11, 2019 04:38 PM

Hey Edwin,

This is slightly more helpful than what’s available out of the box in Rally, because it’s showing me no. of uses atleast.

But I’m not seeing the specific tag I’m looking for.

See screenshot below. First screenshot is from Rally. Second is from the app. The app is not throwing all 5 results that I see in Rally.

Any idea why? Or am I doing something wrong?

Regards,

Niveditha

• 5.  Re: Find usage of tags

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 11, 2019 05:55 PM

Hi Niveditha,

It may be that your SCR or PC_CR tags don't have any uses. If you type "SCR" or "PC_CR" do you get these tags or still not?

Thanks,

Sagi

• 6.  Re: Find usage of tags

Posted Feb 13, 2019 10:32 AM

Hey Sagi,

I tried looking for SCR and PR_CR separately in the app (these are the ones that didn't show up in the app search results when I look for "CR"). There were no results for SCR, but there was a result for PR_CR. Screenshots attached. 

(Last screenshot is of results when I look for CR)

• 7.  Re: Find usage of tags

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 13, 2019 10:46 AM

Thanks Niveditha,

So only "SCR" is assumingly still an issue. Is that correct?

Do you actually have any artifacts with this tag?  To be sure, can you include this tag to one/two artifacts and see if that will get this app to return it?

Perhaps it only returns tags which are in-use.

Sagi

• 8.  Re: Find usage of tags

Posted Feb 13, 2019 10:52 AM

Hey Sagi,

There's a PR_CR tag that shows up when looked for individually, but doesn't show up when I look for "CR".

And I tried adding SCR to a sample artifact. After I did this and looked for "CR", SCR showed up in the results as well. 

So it looks like PR_CR is still a problem. 

• 9.  Re: Find usage of tags

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 13, 2019 01:06 PM

Hi Niveditha,

So, it does seem like tags will be listed in this app if they are in-use. I do realize the PR_CR is in-use, from your former screenshot it shows it's in-use 25 times. I am really unsure what to make of this. 

Can you go to your setup area -> Workspaces -> click the workspace -> Tags:

Do you see any problem with PR_CR in that list compared with the other working tags?

Sagi

• 10.  Re: Find usage of tags

Posted Feb 13, 2019 04:00 PM

Hey Sagi,

I went to the set up area and looked for this tag.

I don’t see anything that could give me any more information.

The only option there is to either archive it or to permanently delete it.

Regards,

Niveditha

• 11.  Re: Find usage of tags

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 14, 2019 10:05 AM

Understood. Thanks for checking on that.

My next suggestion would be to compare the PR_CR and PC_CR tags with respect to the projects their on. In your screenshot it said that PR_CR is part of 25 artifacts. Can you bring up a few of these artifacts that have the PR_CR and then compare them with other artifacts that have the PC_CR.

Here is what I suggest you look for:

- See which projects these artifacts belong to, and also ensure that the projects are open/closed and that you (observing user) has same permissions for these projects.

- Learn if the these tags (PR_CR or PC_CR) are the only ones on these artifacts or not.

My hope is that if you find some differences then perhaps it can explain this behavior.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Sagi

• 12.  Re: Find usage of tags

Posted Feb 14, 2019 10:14 AM

Here you go.

I found all of them in user stories. None of them are on closed projects.

Both have been used either by themselves or with other tags.