Rally1

Expand all | Collapse all

Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Mitch Goldman04-26-2019 04:08 PM

Cathrin Callas05-07-2019 05:22 PM

• 1.  Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-23-2019 11:38 AM

In order to provide the same great functionality in our quick detail panel (QDP) as well as provide a more performant editor, we have released a new full detail panel (FDP) experience!

Template Migration

Single field rich text templates that were available in EDP will not be migrated automatically to the multi-field work item templates in QDP/FDP. There is an app available in the app catalog to assist with this transition, you can read more here: https://communities.ca.com/message/242155126-product-announcement-migrate-rich-text-edp-templates-to-work-item-qdp-templates

New Features

Walkthrough Video

Switching Between Full Screen and Split Screen

FDP will be replacing the old full screen editor that was available on user stories, defects, tasks, portfolio items, risks, investments, defect suites, test cases, test sets, test folders, test case runs, iterations, releases and milestones. To switch between the full screen and split screen view, you can use the default view toggle at the top of the editor.

Hide/Show Fields

You can choose which fields to hide or show in QDP and FDP using the Field Selector at the top.

Drag And Drop Field Reordering

Hovering over the left of field name will reveal a handle that you can use to drag and drop fields to change their display order.

When moving a field, look for the horizontal gray bar to ensure you're dropping it in the location you want to move it to.

At Mentions

In any rich text field including Discussion and Description, there is an @ button which will allow you to select a user to mention, and that user will receive an email notifying them.

Connections Including Pull Requests

While you could only view changesets in EDP, QDP and FDP now show both changesets and pull requests in the Connections collection. Click on the Connections (globe) icon.

Work Item Templates

Work item templates allow you to create templates for multiple fields at the same time, and you can include child tasks on a story or child stories on a parent story/feature. Use the Templates button at the top of QDP/FDP to access the template modal.

Copy Formatted ID

To use the Copy Formatted ID, hover just to the right of the formatted ID in QDP so the copy boxes appear, then click on the icon to see the copy options.

Risks Collection

You can see which risks are associated with a user story or portfolio item with the risk collection available on QDP and FDP.

FAQ

Have more questions? Check out the FAQ: New FDP Full Detail Page Editor 

• 2.  Re: Product Announcement - New Full Page Editor

Posted 04-23-2019 11:58 AM

grama23  Is there a reason that you have now adopted a new name for this page?  Full Page Editor vs Full Detail Page?  I'm still trying to get users to understand QDP and FDP.  FPE is just adding to the confusion, IMHO

We get questions all the time about moving field across the columns, so it might be helpful to add some information about that in the FAQs.

Lastly, we've been getting a lot of requests to be able to size the two columns, would love to see this in an upcoming release.

Lastly, thanks so much for providing all this information in one place, it's very helpful and will be directing users to this page!

• 3.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-23-2019 05:09 PM

Sheri Moore wrote:

grama23  Is there a reason that you have now adopted a new name for this page?  Full Page Editor vs Full Detail Page?  I'm still trying to get users to understand QDP and FDP.  FPE is just adding to the confusion, IMHO

That is just a great point right there! Updated the post for "FDP"!

We get questions all the time about moving field across the columns, so it might be helpful to add some information about that in the FAQs.

I'm gonna add that! Thanks!

• 4.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-23-2019 06:19 PM

Seeing a problem where a defect does not find a user story searched for as a parent in the new FDP.  Some people here still do not have access to the new panel, so we tried the same action the old version, the same defect CAN find the desired user story. Also, the defect tab on a user story within the FDP seems to be missing the button to choose an existing defect to associate with it. This is an "add new" button, but no "choose" button. 

• 5.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-26-2019 04:23 PM

This is an issue we're working on fixing -- it is currently only showing parents within the selected project. 

• 6.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-26-2019 04:27 PM

Do you have a rough time frame as to when this might be remedied?

• 7.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-26-2019 04:46 PM

MitchGBI I would expect early next week, it's already fixed and is in QA. Not to mention a ton of people reported it being a problem!

• 8.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 05-01-2019 01:38 PM

Looks like it's fixed!

• 9.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 06:53 AM

In the old full-page editor it was possible to copy items on the children tab via the gearbox, e.g., user stories on a feature.

This gearbox is no longer present on the children tab and I can't find a button for copy.

Is this feature no longer possible? Will it be again?

• 10.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 09:38 AM

I had to set up a custom page from the "Custom List With Deep Export" app in order to get some of the functionality back, but unfortunately, that app does not include copy on multi-select.  You can use the gear there to copy one task at a time.

I really do not know what to make of yesterday's update. I appreciate the efforts in rearrangement of the UI, but do not understand why certain core functionality was left out. Was this intentional or is it a bug? All I know is that this tool is much more difficult to use now if/until those functions are added back.

• 11.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 10:30 AM

I, too, am struggling to find functionality that has disappeared.  I frequently used the gearbox to copy stories, tasks, defect.  I really hope they find a way to bring this back.

• 12.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 04:42 PM

the copy and rest of actions  is moved on left side under the 3 dots.

• 13.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 04:50 PM

I don't see this anywhere on my screen. 

If you're talking about the 3 dots next to the US number, that copies the story itself. Not the tasks. 

• 14.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-26-2019 04:37 PM

So this is something we've received a LOT of feedback on, and are working to improve it. The change would allow a user to select a single item on the grid and copy it.

Right now, the workaround involves too many clicks, but works:

• 15.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-29-2019 10:28 AM

JohnStreeter: The change that is coming, would it allow to copy one task at a time only? Or will it even allow multiple tasks to be selected and made copies of?

Regards,

Nivi

• 16.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-26-2019 04:40 PM

I had seen the same behavior (copying a story did not include the tasks), but just tried it again and all of the tasks were copied.  Was very glad to see that, but mystified why it would sometimes work and sometimes not.

• 17.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 09:20 AM

I created a test case, using the numbered List ex:

1. test
    2. test2

but after saving the numbered list doesn't appear at UserStory Test Run Tab

• 18.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 09:39 AM

This is no better than the changes pushed this same time last year. We have the same problems now as we did then. Neither the FDP or QDP allow testers to see the Test Case Steps, Preconditions, Custom Fields, Notes, Last Build, Last Verdict in a single view. We use data in these fields consistently. Having to click across the tabs in FDP to view all the fields we need is very inconvenient. The Test Case Steps are not visible in QDP. We've tried changing the fields displayed, but this doesn't seem to do anything on the Test Case tab, and you're not able to add Test Case Steps to the Details tab. Extremely dissatisfied with this change and that the time our team spent working with the Rally team did not change anything.

• 19.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 10:35 AM

Go back to the old version, PLEASE!!! I do not like having everything on the right side.   At least have the option to taggle back and forth.. #prettyplease

• 20.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 11:12 AM

Is there any possible way to revert to the old view that we have all come to learn? I prefer it over this new view; the newer view is harder to navigate, and it just doesn't feel easier to use.

• 21.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 11:57 AM

Except for the fact that @mentions & templates were added to this feature, I really don't see any benefit of this view. In fact it is more difficult to navigate that the EDP.

1. Design wise EDP was easier on the eye - with grouping of fields. 

2. In the tasks tab, there is a limit of being able to add only 10 columns! For us this is really annoying to use. 

3. Like others have pointed out - there is no way to copy tasks!! This feels like a huge minus. 

Instead of living with these negatives, I would have preferred to live with EDP (even though it didn't have @mentions & templates)

• 22.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 12:00 PM

I agree the 10 column limit in list views is very frustrating.  I just hit that when trying to reorganize my view to put it back to what it was.  I cannot get all the columns I need in this view.  Why was it limited to just 10 columns?

• 23.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-26-2019 04:40 PM

Hi Martin, 

It was limited to 10 columns for performance - we're doing what we can to ensure that users are seeing exactly what they want to see, and it loads as quickly as possible!

Regarding niveditha_nivi's comments, one big benefit of FDP is the ability to reorganize and show/hide fields so you only see what you want to see. So this would allow grouping of fields, even custom fields, as desired. 

We're working on improving copying tasks. Right now, the workaround is a 4-click process (too many for me, but works ok for now):

• 24.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-29-2019 10:32 AM

Reg. Grouping of fields: the fields would still remain on the right hand side and a lot of scrolling would still need to be done.

Looking at clusters of fields was definitely easier, without having to scroll. 

If the FDP will allow flexibility of moving fields to the left side below the notes/description fields, then it might be better. But just hiding/seeing fields doesn't help, because we are controlling most of that through field settings anyway. 

• 25.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 05-06-2019 02:43 PM

We have changed the column limit to now allow the user to select 15 columns on our collection pages.

• 26.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 05-06-2019 03:56 PM

Love this!  Are you planning to make the same change to Work Views?  (hint hint, pretty please?)

• 27.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 12:00 PM

Big problem in that he "choose" button is missing in several locations where associations need to be made between work items. For example you CANNOT chose an existing defect to associate with a user story, nor can you set dependencies between existing stories.  An immediate fix is required. If you cannot fix this ASAP, please roll back your changes and restore the old UI until you fix these core issues. The tool is missing key functionality now.

• 28.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 12:03 PM

Hey Mitch,

There is an option to "choose" an existing defect & to map dependencies. It's just not intuitive. 

You have to click on "+Add New" button, and then the "Choose" button shows up. 

• 29.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 12:04 PM

niveditha_nivi, THANK YOU so much for that.

And wow, what a poor UI design. 

• 30.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 12:06 PM

No disagreeing there.

• 31.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 12:10 PM

The "+Add New" button is poorly named. It should say "Add/Choose" or "Associate".  The productivity hit here today is noticeable as people have to trial/error navigate through the tool while doing their work.

I appreciate your input and assistance.

• 32.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 12:35 PM

Another interesting discrepancy....
    When looking at the iteration status (or pretty much anywhere else), an in-progress task shows as "P"

But now inside a story/defect, that same status bar will show "I"

Why?

• 33.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-26-2019 04:28 PM

Hmm -- yeah I'm not sure why, actually! Looks like the actual value for the State is "In-Progress", but Iteration Status shows 'P' while the child list in FDP shows as 'I'.  

I'd expect it to be the same for wherever you're looking at it. I'll bring this up with the product team. Thanks for pointing it out!

• 34.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 12:51 PM

Our users are having trouble associating features to stories.  The search box returns no results unless the feature is in the same project as the story. It appears that you need to select the feature's project and THEN search.  This is a serious regression in functionality and it's a big productivity hit.

And, when I tried to submit a support case, I got a "We're sorry, this service is temporarily unavailable..."

• 35.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-24-2019 12:53 PM

I am having the same issue with associating stories with defects.  Additionally, the project drop-down list does not show the bottom of the list.  In my case, scrolling to the bottom is not far enough to reach the "Yellow team". Even reducing the magnification percentage on the browser does not cause any change.  I have to manually type "Yellow" (or a subset of it) to get the list to filter to just that item.

• 36.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 04-25-2019 02:58 PM

Finally managed to submit a case, and it has been logged as a defect.

• 37.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 05-06-2019 03:43 PM

grama23 Our users are having issues with the parent selection box on user stories as it seems to return all user stories and features when no filter is selected.  When they at least choose a type, say Feature, they get 130,299 results.  It would be amazing if there could be one more filter added for 'State'.  We are trying to keep people from selecting any Done or Cancelled features.  Same for the parent selection box for Features, Capabilities, and Epics.

• 38.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 05-06-2019 03:55 PM

It looks like they are making changes to this function today - when looking at it right now, when I select Features or User Stories, I get a list of items of that type, but only items in projects where I have edit rights.  And if I use the Project selector, I only see projects where I have edit rights.  This is how it should work!    Now make the same update to the collections pages and we'll really have something!  Good changes...

• 39.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 05-07-2019 12:20 PM

Hi terry.ginzburg I saw that change and I was so happy they were able to figure it out!  I was actually hoping to be able to filter out parent selections based on the state.  It seems that people, including my own team, are linking to old portfolio items that are already done. 

• 40.  Re: Product Announcement - New FDP Full Detail Page Editor

Posted 05-06-2019 05:30 PM

Hi Sheri, as Terry mentioned, we made an update so that it is FAR more performant. Basically, it shows no work items until you filter for something: