Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  "Could not create Task: string not matched" using TFS Connector causing duplicate TFS tickets

Posted Jan 23, 2019 10:39 AM

Hi there!

We're running into an issue using the CA AgileCentral/TFS Connector with an on-prem TFS 2015 server where occasionally TFS tickets will begin to duplicate.   We are using the COPY_RALLY_TO_TFS task only.  When this occurs, the only fix is to go into Rally and fill in the TFSID and TFSLINK fields, and then close the duplicates in TFS.  In the connector log I see the following:

[2019-01-23 14:10:29 Z] INFO : RallyEIF::WRK::TFSConnection.block in create_internal - Rally.Common.RallyID -> 2807XXXXXXXX
    [2019-01-23 14:10:29 Z] INFO : RallyEIF::WRK::TFSConnection.block in create_internal - Rally.Common.RallyLink -> <a href="https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/#/detail/userstory/2807XXXXXXXX">USXXXXX</a>
    [2019-01-23 14:10:29 Z] DEBUG : TFSAdapter::TFSCommunicator.block in execute_request - issuing a POST request for endpoint: http://TFSHOSTNAME:8080/tfs/DefaultCollection/QIP/_apis/wit/workitems/$Task?api-version=1.0
    [2019-01-23 14:10:29 Z] WARN : RallyEIF::WRK::TFSConnection.initialize - Could not create Task: string not matched
    [2019-01-23 14:10:29 Z] ERROR : RallyEIF::WRK::Connector.rescue in copy_to_other - Unable to create a TFS Task with these field values: {"System.Title"=>"RALLY TITLE", "System.Description"=>"RALLY DESCRIPTION", "Rally.Common.RallyID"=>"2807XXXXXXXX", :"Rally.Common.RallyLink"=>"<a href=\"https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/#/detail/userstory/2807XXXXXXXX\">USXXXXX</a>"}, Could not create Task: string not matched
    [2019-01-23 14:10:29 Z] ANY : RallyEIF::WRK::ConnectorRunner.process_service - Finished Service COPY_RALLY_TO_TFS

Note as I said, despite the error, the TFS ticket is being created.
    Thanks!
    -Dan

• 2.  Re: "Could not create Task: string not matched" using TFS Connector causing duplicate TFS tickets

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 23, 2019 06:44 PM

Hi Dan,

It's hard to say what's going on just right off.  The error is being thrown by TFS and our connector is interpreting the response as a failure, however it sounds like TFS is going ahead and creating the artifact.  But, because we don't get a TFS ID back, we don't have anything to populate into the Rally work item so it keeps trying.

Could you share the version of the TFS connector you're using?  I found one case in our history with this error and we asked the customer to try a version that dev put together for them.  (I'm not sure the outcome because the customer had other priorities come up)

• 3.  Re: "Could not create Task: string not matched" using TFS Connector causing duplicate TFS tickets

Posted Jan 24, 2019 05:40 AM

Hi David-

Thanks for your response.

This is version "4.8.0-11".  Other version numbers I see in the log are Work Item Connector Hub 1.3.0-40-origin/master, RallyConnection 4.11.0 using rally_api gem version 1.2.1 and TFSConnection 4.8.0-11-origin/master.

Before this we used TFS connector 4.7.2-28 and never had issues.  We switched to this version last July.

Would definitely be willing to try a dev version if there is one....

-Dan

• 4.  Re: "Could not create Task: string not matched" using TFS Connector causing duplicate TFS tickets

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 24, 2019 11:38 AM

I went ahead and opened a case on this so we can send you files.  I'll update this for the community once we have closure on that case.