Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Export with Links to artifacts

Posted Nov 14, 2018 01:59 PM

Hello,

I have a requirement from a user. They are asking if an excel export of say a user story list can include links to the user stories as well.

Ideally this would be such that the Formatted ID column in the excel sheet would all be hyperlinks of stories. 

Anyone know if this is possible?

Regards,

Niveditha

• 2.  Re: Export with Links to artifacts

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 14, 2018 04:17 PM

Hi Niveditha,

The short answer is that there isn't such a way, the reason being is that the user story's URL is not stored anywhere, it's being generated by Rally when you click to view the story.

However, you may be able to construct that link using some Excel work. The URL of a story is following this format convention: https://rally1.rallydev.com/#/<Project ObjectID>ud/detail/userstory/<UserStory ObjectID>

(note that 'ud' which I bolded is for your selected scoping 'u' - up, 'd' - down, 'ud' - up and down).

If you exported a list of user stories, you may want to export them along with their UserStory Object ID, and the story's project ObjectID. You can then auto-create a second sheet where the FormattedID is a hyperlink, which you set by concatenating these values according to this convention.

Let us know if that helped.

Sagi

• 3.  Re: Export with Links to artifacts
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 14, 2018 04:26 PM

There's no single URL that can be pulled from the API and applied to a specific field as an Excel hyperlink, so a lot of the heavy lifting would need to be handled via an Excel macro.

I'm not very well versed in creating macros, but the information you'd need to construct the link would be as follows:

1. Base URL: https://rally1.rallydev.com/#/
    2. Project.ObjectID (can be pulled from the API in the Excel add-in)
    3. ObjectID (for the user story - can also be pulled from the Excel add-in)

Your resulting data would look like this:

So then you'd need to take the data from columns C and B to construct the URL respectively

This is the only way that I would know how to do it since the plug-in really is only designed to fetch data and effectively convert it to CSV style data.

• 4.  Re: Export with Links to artifacts

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 14, 2018 04:36 PM

Cool!  Thanks David for putting together an end-to-end example. Seems like we came up with same idea

Sagi

• 5.  Re: Export with Links to artifacts

Posted Nov 15, 2018 11:24 AM

While Rally doesn't support user-friendly links to artifacts using the Formatted ID, there is a workaround by appending the Formatted ID to a search URL, like https://rally1.rallydev.com/#/123456789d/search?keywords=US399913 (where 123456789 is the object ID of any project within your workspace).

• 6.  Re: Export with Links to artifacts

Posted Nov 15, 2018 09:11 AM

Thank you Sagi_Gabay and DavidLeDeaux for your quick responses. 

I see that this is can be done with some amount of excel work, but not with any direct click or export. I'll pass on the information to my user and see what they want to do.

I really appreciate your help though!

Regards,

Niveditha