Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Query: Portfolio item and story mismatches

Posted Aug 13, 2018 12:15 PM

Is there a way I can make a query to give me a list of all stories with iterations and releases that do not match with the release of the Portfolio item they are tied with?

(It's basically the same as release tracking grid view. But in this view the entire list is not visible at once, we'd have to click through each of the warnings)

Regards,

Niveditha

• 2.  Re: Query: Portfolio item and story mismatches
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 01:25 PM

Hi Nivi.

Features aren't part of Iterations. They are part of Releases. So, your question can apply only to releases.

There isn't one query that can get it done. The reason is that the queries must compare the argument to a constant value (i.e: Release.Name = "My Release"). It can't do dynamic filtering such as: (Release.Name = Feature.Release.Name).

Yet, you should be able to find this information relatively easy with some Excel manipulation. Below you see a query in Excel that returns stories with release. Note column F in this spreadsheet. It details the release of the Feature for that story. You can manually type "Feature.Release" at end of the columns field as you see in the Queries dialog to get this information.

You should be able to manually find the inconsistencies between the Story Release vs. Feature Release if you compare columns E and F using Excel sorting and further filtering to help you.

Please let us know if that helped.

Thanks,

Sagi

• 3.  Re: Query: Portfolio item and story mismatches

Posted Aug 13, 2018 01:30 PM

Thank you Sagi.

I knew the query would need a constant on the RHS, which is why I was wondering if there was any other work around.

Pulling the release of the Epic in the same sheet would help greatly. I should be able to work with this.

Regards,

Nivi

• 4.  Re: Query: Portfolio item and story mismatches

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2018 01:45 PM

Hi Nivi,

So, what I shared earlier is showing the Release for the user story (column E) and for the Feature (column F).

Since you mention Epic:

I believe that only Features - the lowest portfolio hierarchy level - are associated with releases. All other levels are associated with Milestones. I'm uncertain where you have Epics in your hierarchy but I believe this trick with column F can apply only to that level.

In theory you can type something like: "Feature.Parent.Release" or "Feature.Parent.Parent.Release" in the columns dialog and that should create additional columns for you (columns G, H etc.. ) but if you did that , I believe they will all be blank for that Release is only part of Features.

Just wanted to clarify that.

Sagi

• 5.  Re: Query: Portfolio item and story mismatches

Posted Aug 13, 2018 02:11 PM

Hey Sagi,

Yeah, Epic is our lowest level portfolio item. Feature.Release didn't pull data for me. I used Epic.Release and PortfolioItem.Release and both of these worked.

I'm getting a hang of this  

Regards,

Niveditha