Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Adding query for a relative date in a "Custom view"

Posted Mar 28, 2018 03:34 AM

Hi,
    I have creating custom views for various defect groups that I want to filter out by some criteria. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be a way to choose a date relative to today, it's always a hard-coded date you can select so I'm unable to create a Query which tells me something like "Defects fixed in the last week/month" by my team, because it will have to be 7 days from the day I run the query and not a fixed date. Currently I always have to create a new query for it which is not very efficient. Is there a way I can achieve what I want without creating new custom views all the time?

Thanks,

Piyush Soni

• 2.  Re: Adding query for a relative date in a "Custom view"

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 28, 2018 03:47 AM

Hi Piyush,

What page or app are you creating the queries from? You might be able to get better results using a Custom List app. You can go to the setting of the Custom List and enter a query that allows for date variables. You can find more information about custom lists here Custom List | CA Agile Central Help 

And you can find more information about creating date variable queries for Custom Lists here Build App Queries | CA Agile Central Help 

• 3.  Re: Adding query for a relative date in a "Custom view"

Posted Mar 28, 2018 04:59 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm creating the queries (Custom Views) from the Defects page (Quality -> Defects). I found this "Custom List" in searches too, but don't know how to enable/add it (it's an additional app?). Can you please help me with how to use it from my Defects Page?  

Thanks! 

• 4.  Re: Adding query for a relative date in a "Custom view"

Posted Mar 28, 2018 05:04 AM

I just clicked the "+" link in the Quality Menu and created a new page, and then added a Custom List app there. But when I try to type my related query (Fixed or Resolved Date >= today-7), or even a simpler one that works in simple queries right now (Fixed or Resolved Date >= 03/12/2018) gives an error in this app for me. Any fix for this? Thanks!

• 5.  Re: Adding query for a relative date in a "Custom view"
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 28, 2018 06:47 AM

Hi Piyush,

Unfortunately, not all dates are captured in a way that can be queried. For example, you can query things like Closed Date or Opened Date, but not the date that a defect was changed to the Fixed state. Essentially it has to be a field available for that item in order to be able to query it. A query using the date the defect was moved to the closed state could look like (ClosedDate >= today-7)

Also when you write a query you have to separate the operators so if your query has two operators it would be like ((Project.Name = "Blue Team") AND (Owner.UserName = "tom@acme.com")). You can add as many conditions as you need, but it does require you to adjust the parentheses. The Parentheses rules may be different than what you expect. For each condition that you add, you need to put a new ( at the beginning, and each condition after the first must end with )). For example:

((((Project.Name = "Blue Team") AND (Owner.UserName = "tom@acme.com")) AND (Iteration.Name = "October Phase One")) AND (Tags.Name = "Critical"))

• 6.  Re: Adding query for a relative date in a "Custom view"

Posted Apr 03, 2018 01:12 AM

Thanks blawe01 for the detailed explanation and examples. So if I understand correctly, as of now, there is no way to simply find out how many defects my development team has "fixed" in the last week - using Custom Views, or Custom Lists both (but only when it is finally closed after verification can it be enquired about). Can this be taken as a defect/enhancement request and worked upon by the Rally dev team?

Also, this raises another question. Just like I was trying to search FixedOrResolvedDate, may be there are many other Fields that we can't search upon. Is there a comprehensive list that tells us which fields can we use (I looked into the Custom List documentation but still can't find the list of all allowed fields)? Also, is there some auto-complete feature when I'm writing a Custom List Query, OR a GUI like Custom Views (showing all the available fields to choose from)?

Thanks,

Piyush

• 7.  Re: Adding query for a relative date in a "Custom view"

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 04, 2018 02:31 AM

HI Piyush,

Unfortunately their isn't an easy way to get the number of defects moved into the fixed state in the past week. The closest option would probably be the Defects by state app which gives a count of how many defects where in each states broken down by day. You can find more information about it here Defects by State | CA Agile Central Help 

The best resource to find fields that can be used to query is our API. You can find it here https://rally1.rallydev.com/slm/doc/webservice/ 

• 8.  Re: Adding query for a relative date in a "Custom view"

Posted Feb 05, 2019 05:21 PM

This is something that would make a great addition to Rally. If "Fixed Date" is added as a query-able field, it'll help us a lot with metrics as well. 

Currently I manually capture Fixed Date from revision history. This only works for me now because the list is short and I'm able to keep up. 

https://ideas.rallydev.com/ideas/D4452 

Please vote on this.