Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Tracking same bug across different releases

Posted Dec 12, 2017 06:02 AM

We have a Defect, which needs to be fixed across 5-6 releases.

How do we manage and track this defect across different releases. The Defect may be fixed in different releases at different point of time.

Is it recommended to create(clone) a different Defect for each release ? But then it creates too many defects for the same bug.

Or is it recommended to have One defect and have multiple milestones ? But then how do we know if the defect has been fixed for one release and is remaining for other releases ?

Any other suggestions ?

Also the above scenario applies for a User story, if it has to be released across different releases.

• 2.  Re: Tracking same bug across different releases
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 13, 2017 02:16 AM

Hi Mohammed,

I'm not sure that I have the best solution as I haven't come across this specific incident before. Typically, I would recommend that a defect exists for each release so that you have a historical record of the work that was done and when it was done. As you mentioned if the defect is just reused in multiple releases it could become very confusing as to what its actual state is. Perhaps you could assign the defects to a suite or story to help track them.

Based on the information provided I would also want to consider if this is a defect that needs to exist in multiple releases or if its would be better handled as a test case that would be used to create a defect in the release if it failed. 

Generally, we recommend that user stories that are two big to finish in one release are broken into smaller stories that can be and then scheduled appropriately. If these smaller stories still end up unfinished we would usually split the story and move the new one to the next iteration along with its unfinished tasks.

There was another similar question here that may provide some insight Is there a good way to track a defect through multiple releases? 

I would also recommend looking over the following two help articles that go into great detail on how to handle unfinished work that may help with these types of questions.

Manage Unfinished Work | CA Agile Central Help 

Manage Unfinished Work for Story Hierarchy Teams | CA Agile Central Help