Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Product Announcement - Show/Hide Milestones on Portfolio Timeline

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 20, 2017 01:11 PM

Great news! There is now an option on the Portfolio Timeline page that will allow you to show or hide workspace-scoped milestones. This will allow you to show just the milestones associated with the project you're working with, or to show those milestones plus anything scoped to the workspace.  Give it a try and let us know what you think!

• 2.  Re: Product Announcement - Show/Hide Milestones on Portfolio Timeline

Posted Apr 25, 2017 01:55 PM

Hi Marianne, I'm a little confused by what is meant by "workspace-scoped Milestones", and what effect this checkbox has.  In all the examples I have tried, unchecking the box has no effect on what is displayed.  Is this because of how we use Milestones, pushing them down to the lowest possible level?  (We never have Milestones at the top level of our hierarchy.)

• 3.  Re: Product Announcement - Show/Hide Milestones on Portfolio Timeline

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 25, 2017 02:08 PM

Hi Pat,

If you edit a Milestone by going to Plan -> Timeboxes and switching to Milestones, then click on any milestone, you can see an option in the project selector for "All Projects In Workspace". If you don't have any milestones scoped to all projects in workspace, then the checkbox shouldn't have any impact on your Portfolio Timeline page. Please let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Thanks!

Marianne

• 4.  Re: Product Announcement - Show/Hide Milestones on Portfolio Timeline

Posted Jul 03, 2018 01:52 PM

Feature does not work for me.  When I come into the Portfolio Timeline, I don't see any milestones, and then several suddenly appear.  If I uncheck the box, the timelines disappear for a moment, then reappear again.  It makes my view look very messy.

Screen Shot Showing All Timelines - Box NOT Checked

Please advise.

Hank

• 5.  Re: Product Announcement - Show/Hide Milestones on Portfolio Timeline

Posted Jul 03, 2018 05:52 PM

Hi Hank, "workspace-scoped Milestones" mean Milestones that apply to all projects in your workspace.  I have the same issue that you have.  We have added many Milestones at the top project level.  It takes a few seconds for them to load, and then they make the view messy.  We would love a version of the Portfolio Timeline that completely removed Milestones.  (We tried modifying the app ourselves, but we don't have access to the full app source code, including the Gantt module.)

• 6.  Re: Product Announcement - Show/Hide Milestones on Portfolio Timeline

Posted Oct 25, 2018 09:45 AM

We've added a custom field for Milestone Type - it would be amazing to be able to control which types of milestones are displayed on the timeline.

• 7.  Re: Product Announcement - Show/Hide Milestones on Portfolio Timeline

Posted Jul 23, 2018 06:00 PM

Hank and Pat...The way milestones used to be, you had to create them higher in your project structure so you could share them across multiple child teams.  This meant that milestones sometimes showed on the Portfolio Timeline for a team (Project) that didn't really apply.  With the new milestone capability, you can specifically choose which Projects the Milestone applies to and now those will be the only projects where the milestone will show on the Portfolio Timeline.  Would that help your situations?

• 8.  Re: Product Announcement - Show/Hide Milestones on Portfolio Timeline

Posted Jul 23, 2018 07:31 PM

Hi Jennelle, hope all is well!  I love being able to choose which project a Milestone applies to.  Unfortunately, that doesn't help us because we have created special Milestones for "Feature Releases".  Those Milestones are in the same project (top level folder) as the Features and their parent Projects and Programs.  So when someone displays a Portfolio Timeline of a Program, Project or Feature, *all* the Milestones appear.

• 9.  Re: Product Announcement - Show/Hide Milestones on Portfolio Timeline

Posted Sep 21, 2018 02:06 PM

Same as previously stated, we have Milestones being used for Releases to Production.  

In addition to having to now use Chrome (for Rally only), it still does not allow me to remove the Milestones.  Which is unfortunate, because I am now having to use Tableau to try and create a view Rally should have natively.

• 10.  Re: Product Announcement - Show/Hide Milestones on Portfolio Timeline

Posted Sep 21, 2018 02:03 PM

I also have an issue that I have to use Chrome or Firefox, as many of our teams use Mac / Safari.  Will CA being updating Rally to allow for the usage of Safari?