Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  methods for dealing with obsolete user stories

Posted Apr 04, 2016 04:40 PM
    HI  
      We have a large number  (100's) of user stories that currently are obsolete.  We do not want to delete them.  What is the best way to deal with them so we can more easily concentrate on the pertinant US and Defects

• 2.  Re: methods for dealing with obsolete user stories

Posted Apr 05, 2016 11:40 AM
    There are a few ways to manage this...you can move them to a separate project then close that project so these stories will not appear anywhere...to bring them back and/or to search them you have to open the closed project.
    You can tag them etc and then only use views that don't have the tagged stories and so on.
    When you say obsolete do you mean these are stories that will never get implemented, or are these stories that have been implemented but belong to projects completed ages ago?

• 3.  RE: Re: methods for dealing with obsolete user stories

Posted Oct 24, 2019 11:48 AM
    I am dealing with a similar situation. We have stories that were either written in the wrong project or were just re-written when someone needed to work on the issue/enhancement and didn't find the original. I don't want to lose the original stories, just in case someone down the line comes looking. I thought about deleting them and just using the recycle bin as the "repository," but that seems risky.

What I would really like is a state of "Obsolete" or "Canceled" that takes the story out of the backlog but keeps it available in other views (perhaps a custom view or an All Stories view). Of course, I would keep the parent or feature story relationship, so canceled stories are always available from that perspective, but again, the status would indicate that it was not completed (would be nice to have a corresponding comment field; but can alway just put a comment in the Details).

• 4.  RE: Re: methods for dealing with obsolete user stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 24, 2019 03:47 PM
    Edited by Nik Antonelli Oct 24, 2019 03:47 PM
    Hi Karen, I am probably going to seem a bit confrontational to start with, but bear with me - there are always many ways to deal with things.

Ask yourself some questions:
    1. Is this story ever going to be worked on?
    2. Is it quickly going to become completely out of date and potentially no longer valid?
    3. Can the story be re-written to be relevant and something that you  would consider working on?

If your answers contain: 'No', No idea', or 'Not sure', then delete them completely. I have worked with many organisations that have struggled with the same dilemma and saved their stories away. When I go back after 3, 6 or 12 months and ask them whether they have ever revisited them, the answer is 100%: "No, we decided on something else".

If it was a good story to work on, it would still be in your backlog. Agile encourages you to plan what you are going to do next and to schedule those things to get closer to that outcome that brings value and not to look back at stuff you didn't do.

Rally cannot tell you whether someone has 'viewed' an artefact, but it can tell you when it was last modified. Set yourself up an exceptions page that gives you all those artefacts that are not completed and the 'LastUpdateDate' is older that 3,6 or 12 months (or whatever you think you are comfortable with) and delete them.

Look to the future...

------------------------------
    Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software
    ------------------------------