Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Report on Split User Stories

• 1.  Report on Split User Stories

Posted Oct 23, 2017 08:56 PM

Is there any way to get a report on how many user stories get split from one iteration to the following one and carried forwarded?

• 2.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 24, 2017 04:17 AM

Hi Paulo,

Unfortunately, there is not a report or app that has been created that can achieve this type of result. You can use a custom grid to query for (Name contains "Continued") or you could also query for (Name contains "Unfinished"), however, these queries will only work if the names of the split stories were not modified after the split. 

I can certainly understand how an improvement of this functionality is beneficial and would like to encourage you to promote this idea in Rally Ideas (https://ideas.rallydev.com) and provide any discussion items that you think might be valuable.I can find one of them is similar with your one. You can vote this idea as well. 

https://ideas.rallydev.com/ideas/D657 

Kun

• 3.  Re: Report on Split User Stories
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 25, 2017 04:39 PM

We've been using an app from one of the github repos:  patio-dashboard-apps/split-story-dashboard at master · RallyTechServices/patio-dashboard-apps · GitHub 

It gives you visibility into split stories including stories that were split multiple times.  

• 4.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Oct 25, 2017 04:43 PM

Thanks a lot for sharing, Terry. This app helps us a lot.

• 5.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Oct 26, 2017 05:13 AM

Paulo_Rebelo,

I am glad Terry's response helped you.  If you would, please mark her response as Correct.

Thank you.

Michael

• 6.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Oct 26, 2017 02:26 PM

I'm trying to install it, but it gives me an error.

• 7.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Oct 26, 2017 02:25 PM

Terry, I'm trying to install this app, but it gives me the following error: "TypeError: Cannot read property 'stories' of undefined".

Did you create a custom html and paste the html code under App.txt? Have you tried something different?

Thank you!

• 8.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Oct 26, 2017 02:29 PM

All I did was paste the code into a Custom HTML app on a page in Rally.  I'm not sure why you'd get an error, sorry.

• 9.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Oct 26, 2017 03:10 PM

I installed it.  It is working very well.  Do you have a timebox filter setup for the custom page you added the app to? If so, edit the page and choose NONE.

• 10.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Oct 26, 2017 04:59 PM

I don't have the timebox filter setup for the custom page. Perhaps, I did something wrong in between, let me explain every step below:

a) I copied the code from App.txt under the folder /deploy.

b) I created a brand new custom page without any filter.

c) I added a new app called "Custom HTML".

d) I pasted the HTML code into this page.

e) Finally, I received the error "TypeError: Cannot read property 'stories' of undefined".

Thanks a lot for all your help and support!

• 11.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Oct 27, 2017 01:01 PM

Does the app save and try to load?  Can you edit the app settings?  Is your project set correctly at the top? Showing work from Parent/Child Projects?  Do you have unique options for Schedule State?  "Backlog, Defined, In-Progress, Completed, Accepted, Released" Can you provide a screen shot?  I'm just spit balling here.

• 12.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Oct 30, 2017 01:02 PM

Yes, it does. I saved the app and tried to load, but the error message appears after that. Please, find attached a screenshot.

• 13.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Oct 30, 2017 04:49 PM

I managed to get the error when I changed the Timebox limit from 10 to 20.  But, after that I wasn't able to repeat it.  If you toggle your options, does it resolve like mine did?

• 14.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Oct 31, 2017 03:11 PM

Yup, I changed the limit to 20 and the error message disappeared, however, nothing shows up. I tried different options, but it shows a blank page.

• 15.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Jun 04, 2018 11:02 AM

Hi Paulo,

Is this issue resolved for you? For me, nothing shows up as well when I followed the steps to add it. Could you please let me know if I'm missing anything here.

Thanks!

• 16.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Jun 04, 2018 02:32 PM

Nope, I'm still unable to load the app.

• 17.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Jun 05, 2018 10:51 AM

Could you please mark this question unanswered as it’s still open? Let’s see if someone can help us.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek Jain

• 18.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Jun 13, 2018 05:24 AM

Paulo,

If you would, please open the Developer Console in your browser and refresh the app.  If there are errors in the Developer Console, please post them and maybe we can see something further from there.

You may also open an Issue on the Github repository to report what you are seeing as well.

Michael

• 19.  Re: Report on Split User Stories

Posted Jun 15, 2018 02:19 AM

From this other post: Any Custom App/Report on Split User Stories 

The issue there was due to the app not handling multiple decimals/periods in Iteration/Release names.  The solution on that post was:

OK! I think I got it.  It seems to be an issue with the multiple decimals in the Iteration Name.  If you would, find these lines in the code (in my text editor these are lines 2820-2829):

/*
    * having a dot in the name for the key of a hash causes problems
    */
    _getSafeTimeboxName: function(name) {
    return name.replace(/\./,'.'); 
    },

_getUnsafeTimeboxName: function(name) {
    return name.replace(/./,'.');
    },

Update them to make this replacement global by adding 'g' after the the substring to be replaced (lines 2824 & 2828).  So it should look like this:

/*
    * having a dot in the name for the key of a hash causes problems
    */
    _getSafeTimeboxName: function(name) {
    return name.replace(/\./g,'.'); 
    },

_getUnsafeTimeboxName: function(name) {
    return name.replace(/./g,'.');
    },

Hope that was it.  If so, it will be easy to post an issue and resolution on the GitHub site.

Michael