Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  How do I associate defects/stories with other defects/stories?

Posted Mar 27, 2015 12:44 PM
    On https://help.rallydev.com/defects it states that "Use the sidebar to link to any associated artifacts related to the current defect." but that is not clear on exactly how to do this.

If a new defect is opened, I want to be able to create a 2-way relationship to past defects that were related.

Thanks

• 2.  Re: How do I associate defects/stories with other defects/stories?

Posted Mar 31, 2015 01:33 PM
    Hey Elijah, I think that Rally Help page needs an update.  What it was referring to is setting up Dependencies between work items, which is what it sounds like you're trying to do. 

On the Edit Detail Page for a work item, you can easily add a new or choose an existing Predecessor or Successor.  Check out this post for screenshots: How to add a successor to a story?

• 3.  Re: How do I associate defects/stories with other defects/stories?

Posted Apr 01, 2015 10:49 AM
    There is no way to do this on a defect. How do I do this on a defect?

• 4.  Re: How do I associate defects/stories with other defects/stories?

Posted Apr 01, 2015 10:57 AM
    Ah, Elijah, you're right.  I'm sorry - I was completely thinking about how I do this with User Stories, where one would identify dependencies. 

For Defects, we use Defect Suites to group related defects.  The "Use the sidebar to link to any associated artifacts related to the current defect" was actually referring to the sidebar when viewed from a Defect Suite:
    0EM140000004lJ6

So if you have Defects that are related, use Defect Suites to schedule a logical collection of defects as a group.  Here's the Rally Help article on how to Manage Defect Suites.

• 5.  Re: How do I associate defects/stories with other defects/stories?

Posted Apr 01, 2015 11:05 AM
    Okay, that is a big pita. It just requires too many steps to be useful for the scenario I describe. This is one of the things that makes Rally hard to use.

• 6.  RE: Re: How do I associate defects/stories with other defects/stories?

Posted Aug 16, 2019 10:56 AM
    I was wondering the same thing. I want to simply relate a user story or defect to another user story or defect. They are not dependencies of one another (which implies that one must be completed before the other begins; that is a completely different type of relationship, which I do use).

So, what I end up doing, is in the Details (the description), I put in a link to the related story/defect. Unfortunately, this creates a one-way relationship. For example, if I have US100 and want to reference DE240, I can put a link to the defect in the description, but, unless I manually put a link in DE240 back to US100, anyone looking at DE240 has no knowledge of this relationship.

Now, to be clear, the defect in this scenario is not a defect found as a result of the work done for the user story (in which case I would have created the defect by adding it from the User Story itself). there is just a referential relationship between these items. (I just happen to mention a user story and a defect; the scenario could easily be between two user stories or two defects).

The point: the only way Rally currently allows me to do this is by manually linking one to another and these links are one way, unless I create a link in both entities. 

So, bottom line: it would be great to have the ability to relate two items to each other and create a bi-directional link between them, in addition to the current methods of Defect Suites (which is multiple related defects), Defects that are the created from a User Story, dependencies, or Parent Stories