CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Best Practice Maileater Rules

Posted Mar 25, 2021 10:18 PM
    Edited by STUART MATTHEWS Mar 25, 2021 10:41 PM
    Hello,

For the first time I am working on enabling maileater for our CA Service Desk instance, with two requirements:

- All incoming emails logged
    - Emails with a ticket reference in the subject line are automatically appended to the existing ticket

During my limited testing so far I seem to have met both of these requirements. However I'm wondering about how many rules do people usually configure? 

I was initially thinking all incoming emails without an existing ticket number would be logged as a request against a generic category. But then was thinking should I have many rules for certain words in the subject line? For example "broken", "not working", "issue", "fail", "unable" could generate an incident, "new user" would log a request. And then I could go even further with words related to a application and setting a rule to set a category for each. 

I would greatly appreciate anyone with experience sharing what rules they have setup and gotchas encountered. 

Thanks
    Stuart

• 2.  RE: Best Practice Maileater Rules

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 26, 2021 02:59 AM
    Edited by Brian Mathato Mar 26, 2021 03:32 AM
    Hi Stuart,

1. The number of Mailbox Rules purely all depends on what the customer needs are. There is however a "catch all" rule you can create as discussed in the below link.

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/ca-service-management/17-3/administering/configure-ca-service-desk-manager/how-to-configure-the-mailbox-to-handle-inbound-emails/define-a-mailbox.html

Perhaps you can use that for a generic rule to create new tickets for the most part.

2. For anything else that is very unique, I suggest creating specific rules to catch those.

3. This old KB article may also be of interest to you for troubleshooting purposes and typical "gotchas":

https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?articleId=45423

Hope this helps?

------------------------------
    Kind Regards,
    Brian

• 3.  RE: Best Practice Maileater Rules

Posted Mar 26, 2021 10:57 AM
    Hi Stuart,

Do not forget to create a rule to catch automatic replies such as emails with subjects containing "out of office" and the like.
    You may choose to ignore them in the mailbox rule.

Also, it would be helpful to enable the "Write to stdlog" option for each rule with an easily identifiable Log Entry Prefix like the [Mailbox name + the mailbox rule sequence number] like so: [MyMailbox 10]

Hope it helps.

Regards,
    Ruben

• 4.  RE: Best Practice Maileater Rules

Posted Apr 08, 2021 09:41 PM
    Edited by STUART MATTHEWS Apr 08, 2021 09:42 PM

Thanks, anyone know how to get rid of the square brackets from the summary [[ ]] when using the rule option "Add Subject Line = Prepend". I'm also noticing this option is ignored if the sender has a CASD contact record with a data partition default for summary.

I see another post where TEC567206 is referenced but I can't find a link with its contents:

https://support.broadcom.com/external/content/release-announcements/CA-Service-Desk-Manager-Implementation-Document-Index/6406

• 5.  RE: Best Practice Maileater Rules

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 12, 2021 03:26 AM
    Here's the link to the migrated article with the latest ID:

https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?articleId=49611

Kind Regards,
    Brian

• 6.  RE: Best Practice Maileater Rules

Posted Jun 01, 2021 05:58 PM
    Edited by STUART MATTHEWS Jun 01, 2021 05:59 PM
    Anyone out there using many mail eater rules to auto-log tickets with the correct category?

If so how many are you using? How many is too many before you run into performance issues?

I'm dealing with an expectation that mail eater will set the correct ticket category, which doesn't seem realistic to me.

• 7.  RE: Best Practice Maileater Rules

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 02, 2021 04:27 AM
    Edited by Brian Mathato Jun 02, 2021 04:27 AM
    Hi Stuart,

To set the category on a ticket created by maileater is as easy as setting the category using the "Text API Defaults" setting on the mailbox rule that processes the incoming mail. This is described on the below link:

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/ca-service-management/17-3/administering/configure-ca-service-desk-manager/how-to-configure-the-mailbox-to-handle-inbound-emails/define-a-mailbox.html

Kind Regards,
    Brian

• 8.  RE: Best Practice Maileater Rules

Posted Jun 02, 2021 10:24 PM
    There seems be a customer expectation for a rule for every active ticket area (400), do you think that is okay to do, without causing performance issues?