CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  archive and purge of CI's

Posted Mar 24, 2020 11:11 AM
    Hi SDM community.
    Has anyone ever thought about  or even implement "archive and purge" of CI's.
    Thanks for sharing expirience, hints and thoughts.
    Regards
    ........Michael

------------------------------
    Principal Services Consultant
    HCL Enterprise Studio
    Germany

• 2.  RE: archive and purge of CI's
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 11:19 AM

Hi Michael,

Presumably, it looks the question has been raised by someone at some point in time - I found this knowledge article:

https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?articleId=50472

Title: Can Archive and Purge rules be used to delete Service Desk contacts? Can Archive and Purge rules be used to delete configuration items (CIs)?

Regards,

Karen

Broadcom

• 3.  RE: archive and purge of CI's

Posted Mar 24, 2020 12:07 PM
    Thank you , Karen !!!
    It sais: "Contacts and Configuration Items cannot be purged with Archive and Purge rules."
    However, its justification is based on data integrety. Which I dont understand, because "data integrety" is taken into account as well,when archiving tickets. So , if this works, why doesn't it work for CI's.
    Anyway, thanks for the input and kind regards.
    .........MIchael

HCL Enterprise Studio
    Germany

• 4.  RE: archive and purge of CI's

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 25, 2020 06:07 AM
    Edited by Brian Mathato Mar 25, 2020 06:21 AM
    I vividly recall an old discussion that one can define a custom 'archive and purge', perhaps this is the situation you would consider such?

Perhaps something to the likes of what is discussed on the below thread. P.S I have NOT tried this myself. So not sure it will work or not.

https://community.broadcom.com/enterprisesoftware/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=c0c83f53-6fff-4e72-b7b4-8025891c6a94&CommunityKey=e2cd3188-49bc-4f38-88f1-74260f56fa66&tab=digestviewer#bmc0c83f53-6fff-4e72-b7b4-8025891c6a94

Kind Regards,
    Brian

• 5.  RE: archive and purge of CI's

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 26, 2020 12:42 AM
    Hello Michael,

> However, its justification is based on data integrety. Which I dont understand, because "data integrety" is taken into account as well,when archiving tickets. So , if this works, why doesn't it work for CI's.

If I'm remembering this correctly, the data integrity concern was not just within the CMDB/ITSM product, but because CIs are used across multiple CA products, which the Archive and Purge Rules might not necessarily have an insight into. 

Like most of these things, if you understand the rules, you can break them where it makes sense. 

Kyle_R.

• 6.  RE: archive and purge of CI's

Posted Mar 26, 2020 02:13 AM
    Hi Kyle. Thank you.
    Yes, I fully agree, that makes sense, if you have other software in place.
    But , what if not ?
    So lets break the unnecessary rules ;) I'l  try to enhance the arc_pur rules and see how far I get and let you know.
    Regards
    ..........Michael

HCL Enterprise Studio
    Germany