CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Add custom field to usp_owned_resource which is SREL to itself?

• 1.  Add custom field to usp_owned_resource which is SREL to itself?

Posted Sep 19, 2019 01:48 PM
    We have a business requirement to show each Software.Application to Hardware.Server relationship in addition to the regular hirrarchical relationships.  For example, we currently use relationships to show 'Application to Web Server to App server to DB to DB server' which is hierarchical.  However, we have a business need to also show the Application used by each server (1 to 1) for reporting.  If we add this 1-to-1 in relationships, it ruins the hierarchical display.

So, we'd like to add a custom field to the usp_owned_resource which would be an SREL to itself, the usp_owned_resource.  This field would only be located on Hardware.Server families forms to display the associated Software.Application.  

My questions to community:  
    1. if you resolved similar business need, did you use this method or a better method?
    2. Is it OK to add an SREL field on a table that looks up to itself, i.e., usp_owned_resource custom field which is SREL to usp_owned_resource?
    3. Ideally, I'd also like the SREL to only return family Software.Application results.

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Add custom field to usp_owned_resource which is SREL to itself?
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 19, 2019 03:37 PM
    I would personnaly use the hierarchical relationship you are used too but I would use a different relation type.

When you create a relation in your CMDB, you need to choose the relation type. Create a new one :  Uses this application, Used by this server

simply ignore this type of relationship when querying for the hierarchy.

If you want to create a SREL field, you can't SREL to usp_owned_resource because it is not an object in sdm :) It will be a SREL to NR.