CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Missing CA SDM ODBC documentation in 17.2 docs

Posted Mar 23, 2020 07:31 AM
    Hi.
    I am missing the CA SDM ODBC documentation in the actual 17.2 docs.
    At least I wasn't able to find them...
    As far as I am aware, the ODBC drive is still in use in 17.2 for reporting purposes.
    And the description is available in the 17.1 docs
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/ca-service-management/17-1/using/reporting/reporting-using-ca-service-desk-manager/ca-business-intelligence-reports/write-ca-business-intelligence-reports.html
    Please check and clarify.
    Thanks
    ........Michael

------------------------------
    Principal Services Consultant
    HCL Enterprise Studio
    Germany

• 2.  RE: Missing CA SDM ODBC documentation in 17.2 docs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 05:38 AM
    Hi Michael,

I have alerted the documentation team about your thread as they would be best suited to respond to your query.

Hopefully, they will respond directly to this post. If not, whatever response they give me, I will post back on this thread.

Kind Regards,
    Brian

• 3.  RE: Missing CA SDM ODBC documentation in 17.2 docs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 07:54 AM
    Hi Michael,

I am from the CA Service Management documentation team. We removed the content from SM 17.2 as SAP Object Reporting (Crystal Reports) are not supported on 17.2. I confirmed this with the Product management team too. Please refer to the 17.1 documentation as noted by you above. 

Regards,
    Rajashree

• 4.  RE: Missing CA SDM ODBC documentation in 17.2 docs

Posted Mar 24, 2020 08:59 AM
    Hi Rajashree.
    Well, please double check.
    To my understanding, the OpenDirect SDM ODBC Driver is not only related to Crystal Reports/SAP Object Reporting.
    It is in use with your current supported reporting platform "Jaspersoft" as well.
    Regards
    ...........Michael

HCL Enterprise Studio
    Germany

• 5.  RE: Missing CA SDM ODBC documentation in 17.2 docs

Posted Mar 24, 2020 10:26 AM
    FYI:
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/ca-service-management/17-2/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-ca-service-management/integrate-ca-service-desk-manager-with-common-components-manually/integrate-ca-service-desk-manager-with-ca-business-intelligence-manually.html

plus:
    you deliver tools that are based on this special ODBC driver like pdm_isql and bop_odbctest.
    As well as, that  the ODBC driver gets installed on the server and is an integrated part of an SDM environment .
    And as far as I am aware, product management never announced this driver as deprecated.
    So, product management team might reconsider their statement ;)

HCL Enterprise Studio
    Germany

• 6.  RE: Missing CA SDM ODBC documentation in 17.2 docs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 10:46 AM
    Hi Michael,

Thank you. Agree that ODBC driver is still required :). @Shiva Ambati, for further clarifications.

Regards,
    Rajashree​

• 7.  RE: Missing CA SDM ODBC documentation in 17.2 docs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 11:00 AM
    Hi Michael,

Also, I searched for ODBC and found this in 17.2. Not sure, if this is what you are looking for:

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/ca-service-management/17-2/building/building-ca-service-desk-manager/modify-ca-business-intelligence-reports-sap-business-objects/development-environment.html

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/business-management/ca-service-management/17-2/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-ca-service-management/integrate-ca-service-desk-manager-with-common-components-manually/integrate-ca-service-desk-manager-with-ca-business-intelligence-manually.html

Also, if you search for ODBC on the 17.2 content space, you find many references to ODBC. Would suggest that please do a thorough search and if you still cannot find the content, then, we can document this or let's see how this can be addressed. 

Hope this helps:

Regards,
    Rajashree

• 8.  RE: Missing CA SDM ODBC documentation in 17.2 docs

Posted Mar 24, 2020 11:25 AM
    Hi Rajashree.

Thanks , but these links do not include the information I am looking for.
    The SDM ODBC driver provides a set of helpfull and neccessary inbuild, SDM specific, so called PDM functions. And none of them do I find in the 17.2 doc.
    WIthout the knowledge/documentation of these functions, someone is very restricted in writng SDM reports, etc.
    As I understand it, Broadcom should not delete any documentation that is still part of the product without further notice.

Regards
    ..........Michael

HCL Enterprise Studio
    Germany