CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk

Sebastian Perna

Sebastian PernaNov 28, 2017 04:01 PM

• 1.  How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk

Posted Nov 28, 2017 01:34 PM

Hi! In the past we did some changes to the home.htmpl file in order to modify the Employee (Final User) home screen. Now with the deploy of Service Catalog we need to add the original link that says "Explore Catalog Services" (or something like that) to that home screen. How can i do it?

We have Service Catalog in v17 and Service Desk in v14.1.4

Thanks!

Best Regards

Sebastian

• 2.  Re: How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk

Posted Nov 28, 2017 01:46 PM

Hi Sebastian,

How did you do this previously in the old version of SDM?   You wont be able to explore the catalog services from within SDM itself, but rather you would need to create a link on the home.htmpl page which would just bring the user to catalog where they can then explore the services from there.

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk

Posted Nov 28, 2017 02:28 PM

Yes, what i want is the link in the home page. I know there is an original link that comes with SDM, is it possible to restore it?

The home.htmlp was modified with web screen painter and also with some codes, but nothing too special or complicated.

• 4.  Re: How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2017 02:41 PM

Sebastian,

Can you confirm that you want to add a link in Service Desk that sends the user over to Catalog?  To "Explore Catalog Services"?

You also mentioned "an original link that came with SDM".  Was this in a prior release of Service Desk?  Do you have a prior install that contains this link and can you share a screencap that shows the link in context of Service Desk?

• 5.  Re: How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk

Posted Nov 28, 2017 04:01 PM

I found a screenshot:

• 6.  Re: How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk

Posted Nov 28, 2017 03:59 PM

Can you confirm that you want to add a link in Service Desk that sends the user over to Catalog?  To "Explore Catalog Services"?

Yes, that's exactly what i need.

Was this in a prior release of Service Desk?  Do you have a prior install that contains this link and can you share a screencap that shows the link in context of Service Desk?

Yes i had it in my Service Desk v14 but i lost the original home.htmpl so i cant reproduce it. But i will try to get a screenshot.

Thanks!

• 7.  Re: How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2017 04:49 PM

The functionality you are asking about is built into the baseline home.htmpl files.  In order to activate it, you need to have an NX variable defined:  @NX_CATALOG_SERVER

If this variable is not set, please use the pdm_options_mgr command:

pdm_options_mgr -c -s CATALOG_SERVER -v CATALOG_SERVER1 -a pdm_option.inst

pdm_options_mgr -c -s CATALOG_SERVER -v CATALOG_SERVER1 -a pdm_option.inst -t

Both of these commands will be needed to install the NX_CATALOG_SERVER variable.  The missing "NX" in the pdm_options_mgr is intentional (command "pdm_options_mgr -c -s NX_CATALOG_SERVER" is incorrect)

Once you run these commands to install the variable, cycle SDM Services.

• 8.  Re: How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk

Posted Nov 29, 2017 08:49 AM

Hi David, thank you so much for your answer. I executed those commands and the link appeared in my currently home screen. Do i have to edit the file in order to put the url? Because now it opens a blank page without url.

• 9.  Re: How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk

Posted Dec 01, 2017 09:50 AM

Within the SDM UI, you can go to the Administration tab -> Options Manager -> General -> catalog_server

Ensure that this option is installed and has the proper server name and port values set. Recycle SDM services once you have updated the option with the appropriate URL.

• 10.  Re: How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk

Posted Dec 04, 2017 09:35 AM

Hi, i have that configured from the very beggining with the appropiate URL but when i try the link it sends me to this one: http://SERVICEDESKSERVER/CAisd/CATALOGSERVER/usm/wpf?Node=iclaunchpad.pad 

And that URL don't work. Am i missing something? Do i have to edit the nv.env or the home.htmpl?

• 11.  Re: How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 04, 2017 10:21 AM

the url link should be:

var url="$env.NX_CATALOG_SERVER/usm/wpf?Node=iclaunchpad.pad";

and from here there is no reason the SERVICEDESKSERVER should be in the picture, unless you modified the home.htmpl file for employee web interface. Please check if this is the case.

• 12.  Re: How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk

Posted Dec 04, 2017 01:48 PM

Yes, i have it right:

function get_url_for_catalog()
    {
    var url="$env.NX_CATALOG_SERVER/usm/wpf?Node=iclaunchpad.pad";
    <PDM_IF "$env.NX_USE_EIAM_AUTHENTICATION" == "Yes" && "$env.NX_EIAM_HOSTNAME" != "">
    fetch_artifact();
    if(artifact != ""){
    artifact=nx_escape(artifact);
    url += "&username=$cst.userid&eiamArtifact=" + artifact;
    }
    </PDM_IF>
    popupWithURL(url,1,1);
    }

• 13.  Re: How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk

Posted Nov 28, 2017 04:53 PM

Once SDM is integrated with Service Catalog, you should be able to leverage the "casc_endpoint" option which contains the SC URL. 

One of the users on here went a step further and created a SC button that opens the corresponding Catalog Request. I'm sure what you're looking to do will be much easier, since you just want a jump point into the Catalog interface rather than a specific Catalog Request window.

Display Service Catalog Request Link on Associated Service Desk Request 

• 14.  Re: How to add "Explore Catalog Services" in Service Desk
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 13, 2017 02:07 PM

Checking the url the SDM is not getting the correct value to redirect the user to Catalog.

After check the Administration tab -> Options Manager -> General -> catalog_server to be installed and with the correct catalog url: <servername>:port number then this should be working correctly.