CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Send email notification only when group changes for request

• 1.  Send email notification only when group changes for request

Posted Jan 03, 2017 05:51 PM

I am attempting to create a notification that is based off of the transfer activity notification. I only want it to send a notification when the group changes. I don't want the notification to be sent if only the assignee changes.

I attempted to create conditions where "Group does not equal Group Previous", and also tried "Group does not equal Group", but neither worked.

• 2.  Re: Send email notification only when group changes for request

Posted Jan 03, 2017 05:56 PM

Group previous is local attribute so most probably it will be empty if group was not changed, so try to check if group previous is not null, if it is not null that means group was changed.

• 3.  Re: Send email notification only when group changes for request

Posted Jan 03, 2017 06:31 PM

When you say your conditions did not work, do you mean the notification was never sent or was always sent?

• 4.  Re: Send email notification only when group changes for request

Posted Jan 04, 2017 10:08 AM

For the "Group does not equal Group" condition, no notifications were sent, even when the group was changed.

For the "Group does not equal Previous Group", notifications were sent, even when only the assignee was changed.

• 5.  Re: Send email notification only when group changes for request

Posted Jan 04, 2017 10:24 AM

I should clarify that this happened after the ticket had been placed in the escalated group.

• 6.  Re: Send email notification only when group changes for request

Posted Jan 04, 2017 10:54 AM

I think that Gutis has the right direction for you. Try a compound condition:

Previous Group IS NOT NULL

and

Group does not equal Previous Group

• 7.  Re: Send email notification only when group changes for request

Posted Jan 04, 2017 11:42 AM

I tried out the compound condition, but it still sent out a notification when only the assignee was changed.

• 8.  Re: Send email notification only when group changes for request

Posted Jan 04, 2017 12:12 PM

You do not need compound condition Previous Group IS NOT NULL, shoul be enough.

• 9.  Re: Send email notification only when group changes for request

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 04, 2017 12:16 PM

how about "

Previous Group IS NOT NULL

and

Group does not equal Previous Group

and

Group not Empty/Null

"

?

• 10.  Re: Send email notification only when group changes for request

Posted Jan 05, 2017 10:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone!  I tried it with these 3 conditions included, but it still sent a notification when only the assignee was changed. I also tried re-ordering the conditions in this order, with "Group Previous is not null" being first. This seemed to help with assignee changes happening in the first group, but a notification was still sent when only the assignee was changed in the second group.

• 11.  Re: Send email notification only when group changes for request

Posted Jan 04, 2017 01:09 PM

The Atomic condition list we use for this kind of thing is:

• "Group" attribute "Does not Equal" the "Group Previous"

We use that to prevent the entire group from getting additional emails when it is assigned to an individual within the same group.  We also have a separate macro set up to trigger a notification to notify just the new assignee. The Atomic condition we have set for that is:

• "Assignee" attribute "Does not Equal" the "Assignee Previous" AND
    • "Group" attribute "Equals" the "Group Previous"

• 12.  Re: Send email notification only when group changes for request

Posted Jan 20, 2017 10:28 AM

I think the best way to do this, is to use spell code.

• 13.  Re: Send email notification only when group changes for request

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 20, 2017 12:36 PM

The most simple way to achieve this is to split the activity association between the Transfer Activity and the attributes - assignee and group. Depending on your priority (or need) associate only one of the attributes to the Transfer Activity. For our case, lets say we choose to keep Transfer Activity associated to attribute 'assignee'. Create a separate Activity Notification called "Group Transfer" and then associate the attribute 'group' to it (using Activity Association). Now, you will have two separate activities - Transfer and Group Transfer. So when group changes, the activity Group Transfer will be triggered. You may now configure notification as per your requirements.