CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  How can I manage crisis into CA SDM?

Posted Aug 10, 2016 05:23 PM

Hi,

I'm using CA SDM 12.7 and I would like a place into SDM to manage when We have na incident which causes a crisis

I'm looking for tips and ideas.

Regards,

Nelson

• 2.  Re: How can I manage crisis into CA SDM?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 10, 2016 06:21 PM

Nelson –

This is what the Major Incident field and Outage tab are designed to support.

The Major Incident field is used to denote a critical outage. You can set up a notifications aligned to this field to help alert appropriate individuals of the situation.

Once the service is restored, a post incident review should be performed and the Outage tab completed with the resulting information. These incidents are often followed by Problem management in order to determine the root cause and identify a permanent resolution to prevent the crisis from recurring.

Carol

• 3.  Re: How can I manage crisis into CA SDM?

Posted Aug 10, 2016 09:16 PM

Well said!

Kyle_R.

• 4.  Re: How can I manage crisis into CA SDM?

Posted Aug 11, 2016 08:36 AM

Hi Carol, thank you for your help. I really appreciate.

Nowadays we are not using the field "Major Incident". I don't know why not, but It  seems like a "redundant field". Do you have others reasons why this field is useful in addition to other options?  You said about "notifications to other person" - that is really great idea. The CA documentations means about "log activity".

• 5.  Re: How can I manage crisis into CA SDM?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 11, 2016 09:42 AM
      |   view attached

Nelson –

The situation you described (crisis) is why the Major Incident field is not redundant (unless of course you have created something similar). The field can be used to flag other types of critical/large impact incidents and can help both the Incident and Problem Manager know which Incidents should move into Problem Management. (e.g. you may want to create a scoreboard query for Major Incidents for those roles to have easy access to this list of Incidents).

As for notifications, you can create an Activity Association for a field update (using the Major Incident) field. Then you create a notification rule for that activity.

Information about how to set this up can be found here in the wiki:  https://docops.ca.com/ca-service-management/14-1/en/administering/configuring-ca-service-desk-manager/notifications/how-to-set-up-notification-for-an-activity

Carol