CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

knowledge documents does not appear in search results

• 1.  knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 08, 2016 03:40 PM

An analyst had an issue with searching KD with his account. Whenever searching for documents, it always says "No Documents found" like below:

..but when I created a test account (non-admin) matching access and contact type with the user ID above, the search functionality works:

I'm kind of puzzled by this. Has anyone had this issue? Anyone have this fixed?

My system runs SDM 12.9.

• 2.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 08, 2016 04:26 PM

Hi Marc,

Are there any data partition constraints applied to this particular user's role (assuming not because you used a test user with the same role)?  Other thought is that it could be the group which that user is a member of - that matches up to the permission groups on certain categories.  Its possible that the user doesnt have permissions to the categories which those docs are in if thats the case.

Outside of that the only other possible thing I can think of is that the user set something in their preferences for KT search - there are some settings for the type of search, using natural language search (nls) or keyword search etc.  Have that end user log into SDM and pull up their preferences, and you do the same on the test user you created.  Compare the knowledge preferences.

Hope this helps,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 09, 2016 09:02 AM

Hi Jon,

We didn't set up any data partition in our SDM. Most of our KDs are in one category and we tried to make sure that everyone can access it:

As far as preference goes, I don't think they would set one up. I'll check with them. This is our search settings:

• 4.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 08, 2016 09:19 PM

Hi Marc

In the Knowledge Document detail screen in the screenshot you copy&pasted, I suppose the permission tab has the exact settings why a specific user cannot search as Jon also said. Could you try to check there?

Best regards, Kosei

• 5.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 09, 2016 01:25 AM

Hi Marc,

One other thing to try is to have the user try looking up the document using the id (e.g. In the Go button, select Document by id and type in 402070). Does the document display?

This may help identify whether it's a searching issue or a permissions problem.

Regards,

Gordon

• 6.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 09, 2016 09:09 AM

Hi Gordon,

Interesting.. so I tried to do a search using the document ID but came up with "No Documents found":

What setting controls this?

• 7.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 09, 2016 09:13 AM

Marc - take a look at the permissions on the category that the document is in, along with the permissions on the document itself (it can have its own or inherit from its parent category).   As I mentioned previously, my guess is that the test user you created is in different groups than the user having the problem, and thus the user having the problem doesnt have permissions to that document or its category due to the permission groups (the groups which the user belongs to).

Basically...compare the groups that both users belong to.

Regards,

Jon I.

• 8.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 09, 2016 09:45 PM

Hi Marc,

I meant to use the Go button to search for the document by id as below:

Regards,

Gordon.

• 9.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 16, 2016 10:09 AM

Hi Gordon,

I don't know what I did last time, but that works even with the users that have searching issues. Although, this doesn't really fix the original issue.

• 10.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 09, 2016 09:04 AM

Hi Oshita,

For the documents in question, we want everyone to have access to them. So we don't typically place any control on them. Here's a screenshot of the permission settings on one of the documents:

• 11.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 09, 2016 04:23 AM

I have seen this issue multiple times. Jon, Kosei and Gordon has covered most of the root causes. The last possibility I can think of is regrading KD search filter criteria. ServiceDesk gives the privilege to set your own search criteria which may influence to search the KDs. So you do a remote session with user and navigate to "Knowledge Tab"--->Click on " Show Knowledge Base Filter" button and reset it to default and try. You may refer the below screen shot:

KD.png

Thanks

ArunavaS

• 12.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 09, 2016 01:46 PM

It's just like what you and Jon_Israel mentioned. We changed the Search Type to "Keyword Search" and it worked. Is there anyway to default this to Keyword Search instead of "Natural Language Search"?

• 13.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 09, 2016 02:41 PM

Hi Marc,

You can set the default search type in the Administration interface (see screen print).  But the analysts are free to change their own defaults, either in their 'preferences' or in their knowledge search settings.  I wouldn't know if there's a way to stop them from changing it.

Tammy

• 14.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 09, 2016 06:00 PM

Tammy is correct, and you could restrict their ability to change their default search settings through form/menu customizations, or potentially through a data partition. 

It may be more useful to let your end users retain the flexibility of choosing their own defaults, but add an announcement in Service Desk that makes them aware that changing the default knowledge search settings may have unintended results.

Regards,

Marty

• 15.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 16, 2016 10:26 AM

Hi tzadell and Marty.Malecki,

The general search settings that you posted is what we have in place (see my reply to Jon Israel's original reply above). Their settings could have been changed, but changing their settings to "Keyword Search" didn't help. The search still comes up as "No documents found".

• 16.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 15, 2016 07:15 PM

Hi Marty.Malecki - Did any of the responses help answer your question? If so please mark as Correct Answer. Thanks!

• 17.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 15, 2016 07:20 PM

I can certainly respond, but it was marc.see who had the original question I believe.

• 18.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 15, 2016 07:22 PM

Oops! marc.see ?

• 19.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 16, 2016 10:27 AM

Hi Chris_Hackett,

Unfortunately, even setting the Base Filter Search Type to "Keyword Search" didn't fix the issue.

• 20.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 10, 2016 04:57 PM

Please show the data particion contrains in this role and access type

• 21.  Re: knowledge documents does not appear in search results

Posted Aug 16, 2016 10:42 AM

JonathanM,

The user is setup as a "IT Staff" access type and "Analyst" contact type:

Here is a list of constraints using "Analyst" as a keyword (there are none when I searched for "staff"):

Here is the partition list: