CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Possible to invoke plugin from widget?

Posted Jun 15, 2017 10:26 AM

Hi all, I have a question concerning widgets in Service Catalog.

We are currently running SC 14.1 inc2 and use widgets for presenting a number of offerings to the users. 

I'm wondering if it's possible to invoke a plugin from Request widgets, or is the context for the plugin different in a way that makes it impossible?

We use plugins in some of our offerings, but they are accessed the "normal" way through the catalog GUI. 

Thanks in advance!

Karolin Albinsson

Developer at Netgain AB Sweden 

• 2.  Re: Possible to invoke plugin from widget?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 16, 2017 02:49 AM

Good Morning Karolin.

When you mentioned "use widgets".
    Do you write/build these yourself or are these the widgets, used by the Unified Self Service(USS) portal/UI?
    When this is about the ootb USS-widgets, then the answer is no. Since these are all 'hard coded' so to speak.

When self-written, I do not know whether you can execute/call a CA Service Catalog Plugin from within your code.

Sorry for not having a useful answer on this for you.
    Perhaps some one in the community does have experience with this.

Thanks for your understanding and with kind regards, Louis van Amelsfort.

• 3.  Re: Possible to invoke plugin from widget?

Posted Jun 16, 2017 02:54 AM

Hi!

When I talk about using widgets I mean creating a HTML-page and use the built in functions for creating widgets: 

/usm/explorer/scripts/request.widget.js
     CA_Catalog.buildWidget

What I meant was, if i create a form and invoke a plugin from the form with invokePlugin, it works in the catalog. If i use the form in an offering, and open the offering from a request widget - it won't work? 

Thanks for your answer

/Karolin

• 4.  Re: Possible to invoke plugin from widget?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 16, 2017 03:04 AM

Good Morning Karolin.

Thanks. That's a good and helpful explanation of what you want to accomplish.

When the form gets executed from within the SC-UI or a widget(e.g. USS-UI), the script of that form will be executed too.
    However, it is sometimes seen that java-scripting' is not always fully executed from within widgets(USS).

And to overcome that, you might then consider the following:
    Service Catalog provides a method to create your own custom JavaScript functions in a central location.
    Which is USM_Home\filestore\custom\explorer\scripts\custom_form_lib.js file.
    These functions can then be called from within multiple forms and from multiple places.
    This is (great and) very useful for reducing maintenance for common functions too.

Kind regards, Louis.

• 5.  Re: Possible to invoke plugin from widget?

Posted Jun 16, 2017 08:32 AM

Okay!

I will try to write a custom JS-function to invoke the plugin. 

Thank you very much.

/Karolin