CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Is there a way to copy field data from 'Parent' to 'Child' tickets?

Posted Aug 22, 2016 11:47 AM

Often times when we have dealt with an incident where many, around 20, child tickets are associated to a parent tickets and it becomes time consuming to try and copy the data from the parent to each child ticket.  In the interest of closing all of these tickets quickly to keep up with SLA requirements I am trying to determine a way to have the children tickets inherit the parent's Outage start, Outage end and Assignee either when associated or when using the "Close All children" action. Is this something that is possible within Service Desk?

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to copy field data from 'Parent' to 'Child' tickets?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 22, 2016 01:44 PM

Hi Richard,

First I will say that I really like the idea of where you are going with this.  However, the bad news is that I dont believe this can be done out of the box without a fair amount of custom triggers (spelcode) and javascript to pick up the values and place them in the target fields on the child ticket.  There is no trigger in the system to allow you to grab those fields when making the relationship between tickets as parent/child, nor is there one available when using the "close all children" function

Your best bet on this one would be to create an idea here on the community and have folks vote for it, and product management will review it for possible consideration in future versions of the product.

Sorry I cant give you a better option on that.

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Is there a way to copy field data from 'Parent' to 'Child' tickets?

Posted Aug 22, 2016 02:41 PM

Thank you for your speedy and informative response Jon!  I will definitely put this forward as an idea since there could be many organizations that would benefit from it.