CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  upgrade CA Service Desk 12.5 to 12.9

Posted Feb 22, 2016 01:54 PM

What are steps should i take to upgrade 12.5 to 12.9 ?

Should i  restore all database and  application data from 12.5 to 12.9

Thanks

Sumit

• 2.  Re: upgrade CA Service Desk 12.5 to 12.9
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 22, 2016 03:17 PM

Hi Sumit,

Is there a specific reason you are going to 12.9 rather than 14.1 at this point?   14.1 is the latest version of the product and will be supported for a much longer period of time than 12.9 (although there is no end-of-service date just yet, we suspect one will be posted later this year).    Either way, you will have to go through the upgrade and migration process.  You cannot simply take 12.5 data and restore it to a 12.9 environment as that will not work.  The upgrade process is documented in detail in the 12.9 Implementation guide.  Upgrading and migrating is a fairly large undertaking that should be really fully tested prior to doing it in a production environment.  You should first start by replicating your production environment to separate test environment, and then testing the upgrade/migration there, taking shapshots along the way.  This way you can roll back and test multiple times until you work out any kinks in the process.   We refer to this as the "swing box" method.   You can take a look at the swing box method documentation for 14.1 here on the wiki site: Upgrade CA SDM Using the SWING Box Method - CA Service Management - 14.1 - CA Technologies Documentation

Take a read through that first and see if it meets your needs.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: upgrade CA Service Desk 12.5 to 12.9

Posted Feb 23, 2016 01:23 AM

Hi Jon

Should restore my 12.5 data and customization in 14.1?

Or i have to customize my application from starting.

Can i restore my 12.5 mdb in 14.1 ?

Thanks

Sumit

• 4.  Re: upgrade CA Service Desk 12.5 to 12.9

Posted Feb 23, 2016 01:15 PM

Hi Sumit,

As I mentioned, you cannot simply restore from 12.5 to 14.1 - the application and data MUST go through the upgrade process. Take a look at the link that I sent you for the Swing Box migration method.  That is what we recommend to our customers - which is the same process that Andy mentioned in his response as well.

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 5.  Re: upgrade CA Service Desk 12.5 to 12.9

Posted Mar 06, 2016 02:48 AM

Hi jon

what are difference between 12.5 and 14.1 .

Thanks

sumit

• 6.  Re: upgrade CA Service Desk 12.5 to 12.9

Posted Feb 22, 2016 03:31 PM

Sumit,

The Implementation Guide has a whole chapter on the different options you have for upgrading to SDM R12.9 and the steps required for each. The key is that you need to go through the upgrade of your current SDM R12.5 environment to SDM R12.9.

If you want to move to a new server you can then install SDM R12.9 on the new server and move over your upgraded MDB database, site mods, and attachments to the new server.

Some customers do it the other way, They

1) build their new server as a replica of their current SDM R12.5 server

2) bring over the database, site mods, and attachments

3) upgrade the new server to R12.9

Andy