CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  SDM - Notify on Maileater Policy Violation

Posted Mar 17, 2016 01:28 PM

SDM 14.1.02

Customer is using MS Outlook / Office 365 email clients.

We have been testing maileater setup to allow replies.  The filter is: 'Re: Request {{object_id}}'.  This is working fine except for when a user has a custom rule in the email client that responds to all users rather than the standard 'Automated Replies' response.  The customer sends an acknowledgement email from SDM on every Log Comment so this is causing a loop whenever a recipient uses their custom rule instead of the automated reply 'out-of-the-box' - which limits one response per sender address.

We can set the Policy on the mailbox to limit the number of emails from an address per hour to prevent a runaway loop.  However, the violation of this policy places the email address in the exclusion list and writes the violation to stdlog only - not the ticket activity log. The address remains in exclusion until manually removed.  However, I don't see any way of notifying anyone that this is excluded.

We will be informing employees to add the new incoming address for SDM mailbox to any of their custom rules but we have to keep the reply filter string as is to maintain ease of use.

Does anyone have an in-application or Exchange/Office 365 solution? I'm sure I can write custom code or a SQL trigger but that is one more item to handle during patches and upgrades.

J.W.

• 2.  Re: SDM - Notify on Maileater Policy Violation

Posted Apr 06, 2016 02:56 AM

HI JW,

On our side we have started to use PAM vs. maileater to process incoming email for various reason like the one you mentioned but also some problem with mime type causing maileater to freeze etc..

I know this is an extra layer to maintain but if you already have PAM in place in your organization this is reduce to just maintain one extra process and give you a lot more flexibility of processing those exceptions and others.

Just my 2 cents

/J

• 3.  Re: SDM - Notify on Maileater Policy Violation

Posted Apr 06, 2016 09:31 AM

Thanks for the idea.  We don't yet have PAM in place as that is another project.  I agree it would provide more flexibility but it would have to be included in the overall process improvement project tasks as this doesn't justify the start-up of PAM on its own.

We ended up going live with maileater as is and we are relying on educating users and handling infinite loops on a case-by-case basis.  I'll wait a little longer for community feedback and then raise this issue as an Idea.

J.W.