CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  How many SQL cal I need for a standard implementation

Posted Oct 29, 2015 12:04 PM

I going to install 1 SDM server, 1 SQL server and 1 BOXI server. I know I dont need SQL cal per analist/customer, but how many are necessary to license SQL, In other implementations I see SQL connections from SDM open and close, so how many are the minimun necessary.

Regards,

Pedro Polo

• 2.  Re: How many SQL cal I need for a standard implementation

Posted Oct 29, 2015 03:07 PM

Hi Pedro - we typically use one SQL connection from Service Desk to the MDB, unless you are using BOXI, or any other application that will also access the MDB.  Its not per analyst - the analyst does not directly run queries against the db - the connection just comes from the application itself.  Running SQL out of the box without additional CALs whould not be an issue.  SQL itself doesnt really have CALS, its the Server OS itself, in which case the analysts wont be accessing the server itself.

Hope this helps,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: How many SQL cal I need for a standard implementation

Posted Oct 29, 2015 03:23 PM

Hi Jhon, many thanks for the information.

If I understood correctly in my enviroment (1 SDM, 1 SQL and 1 BOXI) I need 2 SQL CALS, one for SDM server and one for BOXI server.

Regards,

Pedro Polo

• 4.  Re: How many SQL cal I need for a standard implementation
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 29, 2015 03:36 PM

Hi Pedro,

As I explained I dont believe SQL needs any CALs.  SQL itself doenst use CALs... the OS which SQL is running on (such as Windows 2012) is what uses CALS- however, I dont think it affects the SQL connections at all.  We have never had a customer run into any problems with CALs on a SQL box.  This is something you would need to talk to your OS vendor about as its outside the application.  I dont believe SQL is licensed per database or per connection, so I dont think you will have any trouble here. You should be able to simply install SQL, and create whatever databases you need on it- there should not be a problem.

Jon I.

• 5.  Re: How many SQL cal I need for a standard implementation

Posted Oct 29, 2015 04:12 PM

Thanks, Jon.

Regards,

Pedro Polo

• 6.  Re: How many SQL cal I need for a standard implementation

Posted Oct 29, 2015 05:23 PM

Jon, the policy of MS for licencing SQL Server say:

1. Using the Server+CAL: You need a CAL USER by each user connected to CA SDM (user of application)

2. Core-Based Licensing: You need only license the SQL Server (by CORE) and you do not need user (SQL) licenses for CA SDM

more information:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/product-licensing/sql-server-2014.aspx

Juan