CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Full-Text Search

Posted Feb 03, 2016 02:20 PM

Although coming primarily from SDM, I see this as applicable to any component that uses the MDB.

There is a huge wealth of information in the text fields of tickets.  The problem is that it is unstructured and non-indexed making the normal queries inside the application a huge performance problem and actually impacts operations if used on production tables.

We try to minimize the queries by having users base their queries on the indexed fields first and then acting on the text of the results; forcing text based queries to replicated database instances; etc.

If an organization has the people and resources they can take database measures to improve performance or limit queries but not all businesses have this capability.

I'm looking for input from the communities on how they are using the application to query and act on the text fields.

I'm also looking for suggestions for Ideas for improvement such as how the current MDB could be integrated with MS SQL Full-Text Search and extending Federated Search to results for use by Knowledge Management SMEs to curate knowledge documents.

J.W.

• 2.  Re: Full-Text Search

Posted Mar 15, 2016 11:16 AM

Has anyone implemented Full Text Search on the SDM act_log table?

J.W.

• 3.  Re: Full-Text Search

Posted Mar 22, 2016 05:15 AM

I personally didn't but I can see the challenge on the act_log as this is the biggest growing table of your MDB. Then either if you index it properly this table is sow dynamic that the index will never be optimal and will have to be rerun often.

So you mostly want to have it on replicated database with replication running on a frequency (like every 15mn) vs. real time to allow the indexing to go trough correctly with the downside to not be able to search live.

Just my quick and first thinking about it.

/J

• 4.  Re: Full-Text Search

Posted Mar 21, 2016 05:14 PM

Anyone have input here for J_W?

J W wrote:

Although coming primarily from SDM, I see this as applicable to any component that uses the MDB.

There is a huge wealth of information in the text fields of tickets. The problem is that it is unstructured and non-indexed making the normal queries inside the application a huge performance problem and actually impacts operations if used on production tables.

We try to minimize the queries by having users base their queries on the indexed fields first and then acting on the text of the results; forcing text based queries to replicated database instances; etc.

If an organization has the people and resources they can take database measures to improve performance or limit queries but not all businesses have this capability.

I'm looking for input from the communities on how they are using the application to query and act on the text fields.

I'm also looking for suggestions for Ideas for improvement such as how the current MDB could be integrated with MS SQL Full-Text Search and extending Federated Search to results for use by Knowledge Management SMEs to curate knowledge documents.

J.W.