CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  is it possible to update an Asset Model via Web Service?

Posted Dec 24, 2015 05:24 AM

I tried to and received the error

"You cannot change the model associated with the asset.",

so I guess the answer is no, anyway I'd like to receive a confirm.

Thanks

• 2.  Re: is it possible to update an Asset Model via Web Service?

Posted Dec 28, 2015 07:59 AM

Hi Alessandro - is the asset ONLY an asset or is it also a CI?  In other words, when you look at it in the SDM GUI, what are the "is asset" and "is CI" values set to?   If it is an asset that was created by asset management (and not by CMDB or GRLoader), it may not allow the change to the model on it because the asset may not be owned or managed by CMDB.

Hope this helps,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: is it possible to update an Asset Model via Web Service?

Posted Dec 28, 2015 08:15 AM

I am new to the product and not familiar with all those acronyms (CI, SDM, CMDB),

I can however tell for sure that on the database the is_asset field equals 1 and the is_CI field equals 0

• 4.  Re: is it possible to update an Asset Model via Web Service?

Posted Dec 28, 2015 10:51 AM

Hi Alessandro, sorry about that, no worries.  Let me clarify:

SDM - Service Desk Manager

CMDB - Configuration Management DataBase  (part of Service Desk Manager)

CI - Configuration Item

With that, assets can be brought into the MDB via various apps - such as Service Desk Manager/CMDB, or IT Asset Manager.  In your case, since that record is designated as an "asset" and not a "ci" - most likely it was brought in by an application other than Service Desk Manager/CMDB - maybe it was brought in by IT Asset Manager or another app. Because of that, the record may be "owened" (as we call it) by that app.   If you log into Service Desk Manager, and you go to Search > Configuration Items - and type in the name of that record, when you pull it up in the GUI, try to edit it and set the model there, and see if it allows you to save it.  My guess is that it will throw the same error in the GUI.

Hope this helps,

Jon I.

• 5.  Re: is it possible to update an Asset Model via Web Service?

Posted Dec 28, 2015 11:20 AM

My need is not to update the model in general or via GUI, it is to update it via ITAM Web Services, the error is when invoking SOAP Web Service UPDATE method passing an asset with an updated model id

• 6.  Re: is it possible to update an Asset Model via Web Service?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 28, 2015 01:55 PM

HI Alessandro,

To my knowledge, the only way to change an assets' model is through the 'change asset model' wizard, provided within the ITAM user interface.

The asset's model is tied to the asset family.  The assets' asset family is a primary driver for many other functions within APM, hence we do not allow you to change it except from the 'change asset model' wizard.

Sorry not to have better news.

Best Regards,

Gale Bacon

CA Technologies