CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Notify e-mail address without a contact for it

• 1.  Notify e-mail address without a contact for it

Posted Jul 03, 2015 04:03 PM

Hello, I would like to know, in SDM, if it's possible (trough configuration or customization) to notify an e-mail address without the need of creating a contact for it. For example, in Incident web form, we could have an field called "Additional e-mail address to notify", the analyst would type the e-mail address here, and SDM would notify this e-mail whenever the Incident had a notification.

The closer I could reach is in "Object contact" inside a notification rule, but it only works for contact fields in Incident/Problem/Request.

Any ideas?

• 2.  Re: Notify e-mail address without a contact for it

Posted Jul 04, 2015 02:07 PM

What version of SDM are you using?

• 3.  Re: Notify e-mail address without a contact for it

Posted Jul 05, 2015 10:07 AM

Hi Diogo,

I think it was in r12.6 onwards if I'm not mistaken that the concept of 'Stake Holders' was introduced in CA SDM. This is a way to send notifications to emails that don't necessarily exist as contacts in ServiceDesk. You can read up on this and how to use this in the Admn Guide

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 4.  Re: Notify e-mail address without a contact for it

Posted Jul 10, 2015 02:55 PM

Brian,

This "Stake Holders" feature is the same explained here? It describes:

You can set up a default set of Available Recipients that the Manual Notification composition page presents for requests, incidents, and problems. Available Recipients streamline the manual notify process for analysts because you can set up a list of contact objects (for example, Affected End User) or individual contact names for easy use as recipients of manual notifications.

Adding an Object Contact Recipient adds the individual contact names that the Object Contact represents to the Recipients list (consolidating any duplicate entries). The same contact can be referenced multiple times for different Contact Objects such as Assignee and Affected End User. Some entries, such as the Stakeholders List contact object, can add multiple entries to the Recipients list.

Contacts and Contact Objects remain in the Available Recipients list after you add them to the list. This behavior lets you remove recipients without affecting the initial Available Recipients list.

If so, this is valid only for Manual Notification, right? I didn't find any "Stakeholders List" nor a field for selecting contact objects on this.

Thanks,

Diogo

• 5.  Re: Notify e-mail address without a contact for it

Posted Jul 10, 2015 08:20 PM

Hi Diogo,

Here is what I know about the 'Stakeholder Notify' functionality.

From a ticket, you click on the 'View' menu and select 'Stakeholders Notify List'.  This brings up a contact search screen window where you can add any contact to the Stakeholder list for that ticket.  So this functionality requires that there be a contact record for the person you want to add.  (Also, my experience with this is that it will notify those contacts of everything that is done on the ticket.  Even actions that you don't have defined for anyone to be emailed about -- example, change of status etc.  So we don't use it).

But what it sounds to me like you are looking for is functionality that is similar to what you can have on the 'manual notify' screen (if you have the Options Manager setting for 'notification_allow_temp_address' set to yes, and installed).  If that setting is set to yes and installed, from the 'manual notify' screen you can type in any email address in the 'Email Address' field and click the 'Add Email' button to add them to the recipients list for that manual notification.  But I wouldn't know if there's any way to duplicate that type of functionality for a field on the ticket that would be included in any notifications.  You would somehow have to create an object contact that would link to that field -- but object contacts are created by selecting an 'object type' (table) and an 'object attribute' (field in that table).  So maybe you would need to create a new table for this field so that you could create an object contact for it, and then add that object contact to all of the notification rules that you want them to receive notifications for.  I have no experience with doing any of that -- but if what I'm thinking would work, then maybe someone else might know.

Tammy   

• 6.  Re: Notify e-mail address without a contact for it

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 13, 2015 07:17 PM

Thanks Tammy once again for sharing your valuable insight and expertise!

• 7.  Re: Notify e-mail address without a contact for it

Posted Jul 13, 2015 09:14 PM

Umm... no expertise here, Paul.  Just sharing what I've experienced and seen!

• 8.  Re: Notify e-mail address without a contact for it

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 17, 2015 10:33 AM

Tammy...........

You are way too modest.

In my past dealings with you, it is quite evident that you have a tremendous amount of expertise and insight with CA SDM

• 9.  Re: Notify e-mail address without a contact for it

Posted Jul 17, 2015 07:15 PM

You're just too nice, Paul... 

• 10.  Re: Notify e-mail address without a contact for it

Posted Jul 15, 2015 03:44 PM

tzadell, my idea is a kind of union of both things you described. We needed to type a e-mail address in a specific field (like on 'manual notify' screen) and then notify activities of the ticket (like on 'Stakeholders Notify List'). One more complicating factor is that we needed to fill this field BEFORE creating the ticket.

I think all the effort to implement and test will not worth it, considering the benefits. Maybe ITPAM could ease this situation, but we have no experience with this tool.

Thanks for all everyone!

Diogo

• 11.  Re: Notify e-mail address without a contact for it

Posted Jul 10, 2015 01:46 PM

We're on 12.7.

• 12.  Re: Notify e-mail address without a contact for it

Posted Jul 14, 2015 02:29 AM

Hi Paul,

Do you have ITPAM installed and using as part of your environment?

Another way to achieve this would be to send out the notification through ITPAM. For this you will need to build a process in ITPAM that will read the ticket details along with the "Additional email to notify" field and use this as part of notification that will be sent.

As part of Service Desk you will have to configure events and macros to trigger this ITPAM process for notification.

• 13.  Re: Notify e-mail address without a contact for it

Posted Jul 23, 2015 03:40 AM

In r14.1, the Manual Notify has the ability to add recipients of the notification in the To or Cc fields. I think you can use any email address (comma separated). Maybe this may help as well?

See: https://wiki.ca.com/display/CASM/.Create+a+Manual+Notification+v14.1

Kind Regards,

Brian