CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  Software inventory - With ITCM and SDM - without SAM

Posted Dec 01, 2015 04:24 PM

Hello everyone, we are facing kind of challenge here.

One of our customers is asking for a solution to make a software inventory. Basically they want to count Sw licenses and compare it to an amount in a contract.

Here is the scenario:

• Customer doesn´t have SAM licenses and they CANNOT have it because we do not sell it in Brazil.
    • They have ITCM/ITCA  and Service Desk Manager, we are working now in a new implementation

The solution that we may pursue  is to work with Contracts as ICs with license count of purchased SW, and have the ITCM discovering the "Real world" of installed sw. The count of SDM vs ITCM data and the balance calculation would be made by CA BI, considering both data sources.

Does anyone has similar experience and collateral to share? Any other ideas?

Any help is very appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance and my best regards

Michel

• 2.  Re: Software inventory - With ITCM and SDM - without SAM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 04, 2015 12:47 PM

Hi Michel,

Although you have already mentioned CA SAM is not an option I would not recommend the use of ITCM and SDM to achieve this task, unless you are planning on doing very basic (and I mean very basic) license compliance reports.

There are many factors that may affect compliance results depending on how each product is licensed, for example by number of processors, core count, host <> guest operating systems, etc.

The above does not help much in providing you with directions on how to perform the task, but I just thought it was worth mentioning some of the challenges you will face.

Thanks,

Alex

• 3.  Re: Software inventory - With ITCM and SDM - without SAM

Posted Dec 23, 2015 08:54 AM

Michel,

As Alex has mentioned, setting up  a system to get reliable compliance results can be very complicated as the licensing can become very involved.  Each software vendor has there own licensing schema and you must be very familiar with the licensing metrics.  It may be very much worth your time to discuss the ability to sell CA SAM in Brazil with the ITAM Product Manager.