CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SDM - Pop-up Announcements

• 1.  SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Posted Sep 04, 2014 06:24 PM

Hi everyone,

We first implemented SDM version 12.5.  I had thought there was a setting to make a pop-up appear on the analyst's screen when a new announcement has been posted, and I had thought we had that setting turned 'on', but it never seemed to work.  I didn't really dwell over it though.  Over a year ago, we upgraded to version 12.7 and I've looked a few times since then to try to find that setting, and I'm not finding it anywhere.  Nothing is mentioned about it in the Admin guide or any other documentation I've seen either.  Is there such a setting?  Was there a setting for this in 12.5, and it's been removed in 12.7?   Or am I just going crazy?  (lol)

Thanks,

Tammy

• 2.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 04, 2014 09:01 PM

Hi Tammy,

You can configure Service Desk to display a popup browser window when there are new Announcements. This is controlled by enabling or uncommenting 'UpdatedAnnouncementsPopup' within the NX_ROOT\bopcfg\www\web.cfg file  followed by recycling of the SDM services. This feature only works when an analyst is logged in to the SDM page. 

Thanks,

Naveen

• 3.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Posted Sep 05, 2014 06:04 AM

Ahh.. the web.cfg file.  Ok, thank you Naveen... Will try this in test later today. 

• 4.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 05, 2014 01:24 PM

Tammy...........

Don't forget that this change needs to be on your PRIMARY AND SECONDARY servers

• 5.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Posted Sep 05, 2014 07:37 PM

Yep, thanks Paul..... Already made the change on all of the test servers.  Will recycle the services sometime over the weekend.

Tammy

• 6.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 11, 2014 10:28 AM

Tammy............

Did you get a chance to recycle the SD services after making the change to the WEB.CFG files?

If so, what were the results?

• 7.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Posted Sep 11, 2014 11:20 AM

Hi Paul, yes -- but it's been a crazy week and we haven't been able to test it out yet, sorry... Hopefully soon...

Tammy

• 8.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Posted Sep 19, 2014 05:23 AM

Admin: Flagging post as "Assumed Answered" based on text above. This may be reversed by author if needed. Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 9.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Posted Sep 19, 2014 12:37 PM

Sorry, I apologize that I had not been able to test this earlier... I just did a test today though, and it doesn't seem to be working.  I set the duration to 10 minutes.  I went into the test system, opened a list of tickets, and stayed off the 'announcements' page.  I had someone else create an announcement, and waited -- 20 minutes later and I never got a pop-up. 

UpdatedAnnouncementsPopup 10

• 10.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Posted Sep 19, 2014 01:17 PM

Hello,

What is the web url to which users are getting connected to? If it is connected to the secondary, then on the secondarys you will have to modify the secondary_hostname1_web.cfg file which will be in the same location as web.cfg. I.e. Bopcfg/www folder. So do check  these files and update the variable. Then recycle services in order stop primary -> stop secondary -> start secondary -> start primary.

Hope this helps

Regards

Nas

• 11.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Posted Sep 19, 2014 01:28 PM

Yes, everyone is load balanced to 2 secondary servers.  So when I made this setting change, I changed it in the web.cfg files on the primary and both secondary servers, then recycled the services.

Tammy

• 12.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Posted Sep 22, 2014 01:42 AM

Hello Tammy,

I just tried on SDM 12.7 primary (no secondaries) with Internet Explorer 10 and it does work - so the above guys at least aren't hallucinating functionality.

There was a few minutes delay, but that is to be expected. I was running with two separate instances of an SDM 12.7 client open. One Administrator to make the Announcements and one Analyst to get the pop-up.

Ideas:

* Try a different browser. Different version or type.

* Check that pop-ups aren't blocked.

* Try different client computer.

* Try directly on the primary server.

* The pop-ups ONLY work for Analyst interface say the notes, so check that your "Analyst" interface is actually an Analyst interface - I'm not sure what the code is checking as the specific trigger for "This is an Analyst."  But see if you have an out-of-the-box setup - maybe head to a test machine.

Failing that, maybe open a Support issue for a remote session, as this falls into the "break/fix" category.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 13.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Posted Sep 22, 2014 07:16 AM

Thanks, Kyle.

IE is our company's browser --- While I could try another browser for the sake of testing, that won't really help me much if it works there and not in IE.

Pop-up blocker is turned off. 

I am working in the analyst interface, and am already working in our test environment.  But the only OOTB set up we have on the test system is that the Administrator role uses the OOTB forms. And that's what I was using to test this with. 

But I will have someone create an announcement while I'm signed on directly from the primary server, and will post the results here.  If this requires a support ticket, then it's going to get put back on the 'back-burner' for me again, since this really isn't anything critical.

Tammy

• 14.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Posted Sep 22, 2014 03:00 PM

Well, it works great when I go directly to the primary server.  And I've just confirmed again that the setting is indeed exactly the same in the web.cfg files on the secondary servers.  So, is it time for a support ticket?

Thanks,

Tammy

• 15.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 23, 2014 01:04 PM

Tammy.........

Silly question - when you say the WEB.CFG files on the Secondary servers, you mean the <Hostname>-WEB.CF file - correct?

• 16.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Posted Sep 23, 2014 02:05 PM

Umm... No, that's not a silly question.  I did forget that the secondary servers also have separate cfg files for each node/webengine.  (And I know that Nas also mentioned this in his post, but I didn't catch it).  My goof.  I will modify the correct files on the secondary servers, restart the services and test again!

Tammy

• 17.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Posted Sep 23, 2014 05:53 PM

It's working now... Thanks to everyone!

Tammy

• 18.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 24, 2014 04:36 PM

Great to hear Tammy.

Guess you can schedule the change in PROD now

• 19.  Re: SDM - Pop-up Announcements

Posted Sep 24, 2014 08:14 PM

Yeah, Paul -- Once we decide what the interval should be.  10 minutes might be too often, but once we figure out what we want it to be, then I'll do it in prod.

Thanks again!