CA Service Management

View Only
  • 1.  How to manage a server swap for a CI with relationships

Posted Feb 18, 2015 05:24 PM

Background:

• We have 2 server CIs, the old one and the new one.
    • The old server CI is being returned because of End-of-Lease and the new server installed to replace it.
    • Both CIs have the same host name because they are expected to be the same in the environment.
    • We do not have auto discovery tools to manage relationships

What are you doing in this scenario to export the existing relationships and import those to the new CI for the purpose of maintaining CMDB relationship integrity to the upstream and downstream CIs?

• 2.  Re: How to manage a server swap for a CI with relationships

Posted Feb 18, 2015 06:16 PM

If the server will be the same host name then I don't see the point in creating a new CI and recreating the relationships.  Why not just update the old CI with details about the new server.

In this case I would just log a change request against the CI and not worry about creating duplicates.

• 3.  Re: How to manage a server swap for a CI with relationships

Posted Feb 19, 2015 10:33 AM

Thanks gbruneau, but there are frequently times when there is an overlap of time where the new server is online before the old one is retired.  Therefore they are both LIVE on the wire for a period of time before the cutover.  Otherwise, we would do what you suggest and it would be a simple move.

• 4.  Re: How to manage a server swap for a CI with relationships

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 19, 2015 12:35 AM

Hi Corb,

If you don't need auditing/reporting, as gbruneau said, it would be better to just update the current CI.

If you really need to audit the server swap, you may think of update the relationship table Business_Management.

First, you can extract the relationships as per the CI uuid.

For example:

pdm_extract -f "select id, hier_child, hier_parent from Business_Management

where hier_child = 0x508283A00693AF4D96DC4FB0EF41E468 or hier_parent = 0x508283A

00693AF4D96DC4FB0EF41E468" > swapci.txt

Second, modify swapci.txt and update all the old CI id to the new CI id.

Third, use pdm_load to update the relationship table.

And then you can inactive the old CI.

NOTE1: I don't verify it yet, please verify it on your test env first.

NOTE2: This method cannot keep the old relationships.

Regards,

Mark

• 5.  Re: How to manage a server swap for a CI with relationships

Posted Feb 19, 2015 10:46 AM

Thanks Zhijun, I was thinking that I would need to use pdm_extract in some way to see what the current relationships are, flip it, then send it back in with the new host.  I will test this on our development environment for sure and report back here.

• 6.  Re: How to manage a server swap for a CI with relationships

Posted Feb 20, 2015 04:27 AM

There is also a copy (including relationships) function directly in the menubar of the CI detail screen. You could use that to copy the old CI into a new one, update that one and maybe make some relationships inactive until the new machine actually replaces the old one.