CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

customization not working in 12.9

• 1.  customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 20, 2014 03:50 AM

Hi,

Recently i have migrated service desk from 12.5 to 12.9 where some of the forms are incompatible with 12.9 and i need to do customization again.

If am trying to create new incident, it is throwing me error like this. am able to get this form" detail_cr_edit.htmpl' in wsp under PDA, but do know how to debug this.

please help me to fix this.

newincident -error.JPG

• 2.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 20, 2014 04:22 AM

I don't have a 12.5 instance to check this, but I would guess that you may be trying to run the r12.5 version of 'detail_pr.htmpl' under 12.9 and what used to be a tab called 'pr_attinc_tab.htmpl'  in r12.5 no longer exists in 12.9.  In 12.9 the tab that probably does what you are looking for (link other CRs in a parent-child relationship) is now called 'pr_relreq_tab.htmpl'.

I'd suggest you start from the out-of-the-box r12.9 version of the form and re-create using WSP whatever customisations you can identify, rather than trying to make the 12.5 version work under 12.9.  This is also a good time to ask three questions - "why was this customisation done in the first place?", "can we do what this customisation did using other features of the product?" and "is there a business justification for re-working the customisation?".  Chances are that nobody can remember the answer to question 1 :-).  In that case question 3 answers itself...

• 3.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 20, 2014 04:40 AM

Hi,

Thanks.. do we have any docs on designing forms in WSP, which will help me to try/design forms.

I have no answers for your questions, expectation is if this customization can be achieved through other features, then am happy :-)

please let me know about this.

• 4.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 20, 2014 06:20 AM

Hi,

When you migrate Service Desk, the only files (htmpl's, js's and so on) that will get updated will be the ones under the bopcfg folder, so... the customized forms (the ones under site mods folder) won't be touched.

To update that files what you need to do is:

- Get a tool to compare files (like WinMerge);

- Compare all the files that are under bopcfg, before and after the migration (hope you have done a backup from the 12.5 version);

- Check what files got updated;

- Find the diferences between the 2 files and apply it to your customized forms.

Hope it helps.

• 5.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 20, 2014 10:57 AM

Hi,

Thanks..  is there any docs available on how to design new forms in WSP.

Am unable to find where is the issue. please help

• 6.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 24, 2014 03:44 AM

Hi,

I found both (detail_pr and detail_in) are identical and no changes in it.Deatil_in.JPGDetail_pr.JPG

• 7.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 24, 2014 04:03 AM

Compare your 12.5 detail_in.htmpl with the new 12.9 detail_in.htmpl which will be at <your SDM 12.9 install folder>\bopcfg\www\htmpl\web\analyst\detail_in.htmpl.

Likewise for your 12.5 detail_pr.htmpl and <your SDM 12.9 install folder>\bopcfg\www\htmpl\web\analyst\detail_pr.htmpl.

• 8.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 24, 2014 04:51 AM

Hi,

I found 53 differences between files when compared.

• 9.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 24, 2014 04:52 AM

53 differences on detail_pr file and 59 differences in detail_in file.

• 10.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 25, 2014 01:28 AM

OK, now the fun begins :-)

You should also compare your (presumably customised) 12.5 htmpl file with the out-of-box 12.5 version of the same file - these will most likely be at <12.5 install folder>\bopcfg\www\htmpl\web\analyst.

For each of the differences that you see between the 12.5 original and 12.5 customised file, you need to decide what was the purpose of the change in the 12.5 form.  For example, was a field moved, added, hidden, or re-labelled?  Then open the 12.9 form in Web Screen Painter (WSP).  I recommend using WSP rather than notepad, as for one thing WSP will place your modified form in the correct site\mods folder and will not let you edit the original in bopcfg!  Find each element in the 12.9 form that matches one that was changed in the 12.5 form - click on a field, for example, in the 'Design' view and you can then switch to the 'Source' view to see what the internal definition of the field is - and repeat the change in the 12.9 form.  Save, Publish, test, back up the contents of site\mods so you can recover if things go horribly wrong - and repeat...

• 11.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 24, 2014 05:01 AM

So after you compared both bopcfg files... now you'll need to apply those changes on your detail_pr and detail_in under the site/mods folder.

• 12.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 24, 2014 06:15 AM

Hi,

Am able to spot differences but how to apply, since it should be done at WSP end.

please help.

• 13.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 24, 2014 06:30 AM

Well, the changes on htmpl files doesn't need to be done by WSP (.js does need!). You can open the site/mods/"file" with notepad and apply those changes.

• 14.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 24, 2014 09:19 AM

Hi,

I have compared customized (detail_in) file of 12.5 with OOTB file(detail_in) in 12.9

Hope these are the correct files to be compared and changes to be applied in OOTB (detail_in) 12.9 file.

please help.

• 15.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Nov 20, 2014 02:22 PM

the gui it cannot find, deals with attach incidents to a problem attaching incidents,

the line in r12.9 in detail_pr is

<PDM_MACRO name=TAB title="Attached Incidents" height=300 id=att_inc...........

check the 'Attach Incidents' tab in r12.5

so give that a check and see what it shows

• 16.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Dec 01, 2014 07:33 AM

Hi rkalidh87,

The r12.5 forms would not work on r12.9. There is a huge change in the structure and design of r12.9 forms vs. r12.5 forms. As you can see from r12.6 onwards, one of the major changes was the UI change.

So you have to redo the adaptations\modifications from scratch using the r12.9 OOTB forms via WSP.

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 17.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Dec 19, 2014 05:31 AM

Hello rkalidh87,

Can you please provide a status update on the original query asked in the post. Have you been able to progress this aspect?

It seems that you have a way ahead, even though the steps are time-consuming to check.

For best practice to encourage responses, see: Communities: Responding to Replies.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

Admin.

• 18.  Re: customization not working in 12.9

Posted Dec 19, 2014 06:12 AM

Hi Kyle,

Sorry for delay in response. I have n't tried above steps, as i was engaged in other migration.