CA Service Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

I want to link to an attachment on a KD from the body of the same KD. I can find the physical path of the attachment, but that doesn't work as a hyperlink. Any suggestions?

• 1.  I want to link to an attachment on a KD from the body of the same KD. I can find the physical path of the attachment, but that doesn't work as a hyperlink. Any suggestions?

Posted Nov 06, 2014 10:17 AM

I want to link to an attachment on a KD from the body of the same KD. I can find the physical path of the attachment, but that doesn't work as a hyperlink. Any suggestions?

• 2.  Re: I want to link to an attachment on a KD from the body of the same KD. I can find the physical path of the attachment, but that doesn't work as a hyperlink. Any suggestions?

Posted Nov 10, 2014 02:01 PM

Hi All - Any ideas here for Karen? Thanks! Chris

karen misconish wrote:

• 3.  Re: I want to link to an attachment on a KD from the body of the same KD. I can find the physical path of the attachment, but that doesn't work as a hyperlink. Any suggestions?

Posted Nov 11, 2014 05:11 AM

The detail of a KD has the attachments tab and which allows attaching a URL.

KD_Attachment.gif

Is there any reason you are not using this functionality?

• 4.  Re: I want to link to an attachment on a KD from the body of the same KD. I can find the physical path of the attachment, but that doesn't work as a hyperlink. Any suggestions?

Posted Nov 12, 2014 11:07 AM

Thanks, Brian, but this is for existing KDs. The attachments were either uploaded to the Repository or via Quick Upload and are stored on the server. The only URL I can find for them is the physical path (e.g., E:/CAisd/Documents/Knowledge/ ... ), which doesn't open when I add the physical path as a URL.

For better or worse, we have KDs that say simply, "See attached."  In User View, the attachment is hyperlinked at the bottom of the view and opens when the attachment name is clicked. In an internal view (not sure what the correct term is), the user needs to click over to the Attachments subtab, find the attachment and click to open. I'd like to link it right in the resolution area of the Content subtab under the Document Details tab. Less clicking around to find the information.

• 5.  Re: I want to link to an attachment on a KD from the body of the same KD. I can find the physical path of the attachment, but that doesn't work as a hyperlink. Any suggestions?

Posted Nov 14, 2014 03:33 AM

Hi Karen,

If I understand you correctly, you want to embed a link\url in the resolution part of the KD, right?

You may have to try the referencing this using HTML coding, for example use the <a href=http://www.ca.com>CA URL</a>  format

See if that helps?

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 6.  Re: I want to link to an attachment on a KD from the body of the same KD. I can find the physical path of the attachment, but that doesn't work as a hyperlink. Any suggestions?

Posted Nov 14, 2014 09:59 AM

<P><A href="javascript:window.open('http://SD129:8080/CAisd/UploadServlet?AttmntId=400552&Bpsid=' + getNewBopsidValue() + '&retURL=http://SD129/CAisd/pdmweb.exe?SID=' + cfgSID + '+FID=' + fid_generator() + '+OP=DISPLAY_FORM+HTMPL=attmnt_download_done.htmpl&ServerName=SD129')

" type=action_link>link</A></P>

• 7.  Re: I want to link to an attachment on a KD from the body of the same KD. I can find the physical path of the attachment, but that doesn't work as a hyperlink. Any suggestions?

Posted Dec 01, 2014 12:45 PM

Hello Karen,

Did something in this help you to resolve your issue?

• 8.  Re: I want to link to an attachment on a KD from the body of the same KD. I can find the physical path of the attachment, but that doesn't work as a hyperlink. Any suggestions?

Posted Dec 02, 2014 01:08 PM

Sadly, no. I suspect some variation on Gutis' response might work with some tweaking. i.e., substituting some variation of "http://SD127:8080/..." for the physical path ("E:/CAisd/Documents/Knowledge/... ") SDM gives me.

The issue is NOT "How do I link something from a KD" nor is it "How do I add an attachment to a KD." The KD, complete with attachment, was created long, long before I started on this project. They're both there, the KD and the attachment. I want to hyperlink the attachment--which is already attached to the KD--from the *body* of the same KD it's attached to. When I "ask" SDM where the attachment is--so I can hyperlink it--SDM gives me the physical path--"E:/CAisd/Documents/Knowledge/... ." The part in this that does not work is ... the physical path! I do not want the physical path of the attachment, I want the url of the attachment. SDM does not give me the url, it gives me the physical path.

I suspect there is a way to do this. I'm closing in on it but haven't quite gotten there yet. Thanks for your responses.

• 9.  Re: I want to link to an attachment on a KD from the body of the same KD. I can find the physical path of the attachment, but that doesn't work as a hyperlink. Any suggestions?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 02, 2014 05:11 PM

All you need to do is to change  everywhere SD129 to your SDM server hosname and AttmnId=400552 change to AttmnId=yourattachmentid. There is no direct link to attachments in SDM they are downloaded using UploadServlet.

• 10.  Re: I want to link to an attachment on a KD from the body of the same KD. I can find the physical path of the attachment, but that doesn't work as a hyperlink. Any suggestions?

Posted Apr 24, 2015 12:31 PM

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, but yes, I've managed to figure it out thanks to Gutis' input. The path is the same for every KD in our knowledge base, I just have to change one piece so the KD # matches the # in the path.